• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Glidecam 4000 Pro...

I was curious if anyone here has used the Glidecam 4000 Pro with the Canon XL 2. How long can you hold it before your arm starts to go weak? Impressions on the product itself?

I know that this piece is not an out of the box tool. I know it will take several months of practice and balancing to get it acceptable. I just wanted to know if it is a big enough bang for the buck or if I should just keep saving for a body mounted steadicam/glidecam system.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, it's a bit of an old thread, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

It's heavy. You wouldn't want to hold it for longer than it takes you to get the shot. Adding the vest (which I know is way more expensive) does WONDERS.

I'd say Glidecam 4k Pro removes 20% of your shot shake (in my experience), while the full vest setup will remove 95%. The ratio between the two is not 75/100% that you'd think at first glance. Your wrist just gets too tired and then that causes as much shake as anything else.

I'd say save for the vest. It would be a much longer term investment and make you way more marketable as a Steadicam op once you get some practice in. Offer to do some free steadicam work while you get the feel for it, and it'll give you some great contacts who will be sure to use you again. Vest gives you a better chance of recouping on your investment; don't forget to look at that side of it too.

Back