HD Online, Do You Use It?

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the forums but a long time indie filmmaker. Currently I see a trend moving towards HD even in independent productions. Also it seems like tangible media, while it still has a place, is rapidly being cast aside for media consumption online. It's no joke that sites like YouTube get more searches than Yahoo! or MSN combined.

Since online video is becoming such a big deal, and more filmmakers are sharing video online, do those of you out there using HD share your HD videos online? I know file size and upload times can really be cumbersome, but I was curious what services, if any, you guys turn to for HD video online?

I've always had a hard time finding a good place to store my work in HD on the net...so just wondering what solution, if any you all prefer?

Thanks!

I don't have an HD camera, so no... but It's also inconvenient for me to watch as my laptop won't play HD stuff well (Or SD Vimeo for that matter). So I have to go use my desktop for that, which is in the basement and much less convenient since I only tend to get small windows of time to do stuff online.

So I won't watch anything posted to Vimeo (I haven't been able to watch any of your recent stuff SB, sorry :( ), nor gain any of the benefits for stuff posted in HD.

That said, the HD cameras tend to have a slightly better latitude, so even if you output SD, the images will be better given identical shooting conditions.

When we upload vids/ trailers we definitely us the HD function. If you think people's computers can't handle the stream or playback (some can't), then you can just upload in HQ. As long as you upload in some form of higher resolution--the standard is pretty horrid, especially if you're showcasing something film-related.

It's important to use HD when you can--that's why so many film makers specifically note (sometimes in bold), 'BE SURE TO WATCH IN HD!'

Yep, I skip those... and only watch the Low quality streams, Youtube and all that is set to HQ off. Vimeo standard def doesn't play at more than 1 frame/ second and the audio is dodgy, so I just skip those as well. Love to upgrade my laptop, but can't. I'm probably not the only one either, so just like in the pre-browser wars WWW, you have to chose how many of your potential viewers you're willing to alienate in the name of image quality.

Yep, I skip those... and only watch the Low quality streams, Youtube and all that is set to HQ off. Vimeo standard def doesn't play at more than 1 frame/ second and the audio is dodgy, so I just skip those as well. Love to upgrade my laptop, but can't. I'm probably not the only one either, so just like in the pre-browser wars WWW, you have to chose how many of your potential viewers you're willing to alienate in the name of image quality.

Oh totally. You have to choose and weigh-out the pros and cons. But most film makers would rather screw the old computer users, just so they can get the prettiest picture possible.

I know some directors that won't even show their stuff unless people can see it in HD.

That's why I choose them all. I use www.tubemogul.com to upload to 12-20 sites all at once. I believe if you want to get discovered, you have to be in as many places at once...

That's why I choose them all. I use www.tubemogul.com to upload to 12-20 sites all at once. I believe if you want to get discovered, you have to be in as many places at once...

Hmmm...what's this? You upload your video, and it automatically creates a video stream on multiple websites like Youtube and Vimeo? And it creates multiple qualities of streams?

I suppose I could just click the link and find out...lol. Thanks.

nice, thanks for the feedback.

My company is starting a site to try to offer a solution for filmmakers and people who prefer HD video. We offer the option to buy, sell, and store your footage online. I'd love some ideas and feedback about it.

http://www.movielocker.com

We are trying to gear this more towards the needs of filmmakers, instead of the average internet video user

Hmmm...what's this? You upload your video, and it automatically creates a video stream on multiple websites like Youtube and Vimeo? And it creates multiple qualities of streams?

You upload the file once to TUBEMOGUL, then then disperse the same file to most streaming sites for free, and they then keep track of each individual video, as well as sum totals. It's incredibly handy and simple, and most importantly - FREE.

In using this, I have found that, much to my surprise, YouTube is by a large margin the single most viewed site of them all, and that's with ZERO effort on my part. I never send links to people for YouTube, even in HD. It's the site D'Jour as it were. Having your video on this site increases the likelihood that someone will see it.

My company is starting a site to try to offer a solution for filmmakers and people who prefer HD video. We offer the option to buy, sell, and store your footage online. I'd love some ideas and feedback about it.

Why pay when we can get the same service for free?

What are you offering that other sites aren't already doing?

What are you offering that other sites aren't already doing?

Currently we are offering free storage for videos but the functionality we offer that is different is the option for artists to buy and sell stock footage. Sometimes it's very diffcutl for artists to find places online to sell their work, and this proves to be even harder for filmmakers. Movielocker is offering a way to find the footage you need, or sell your footage to filmmakers looking to purchase. This all happens safe and secure on our site.

The service is free to store, protect, and share your videos now.

I just paid the $59.99 for VIMEO PLUS because I like their service and quality a lot. I'm thinking of uploading my entire catalog to them and making that my main focus for traffic.

Back