• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Point of View Scenes

Does anyone know what film format, speed, and anything else special I need to know in order to get the cinematic Point of View scene like in Saving Private Ryan where you see the action from the characters point of view? When I move my camera around like that, I get blurred and dizziying images. Now I'm sure getting an HD camera will most likely help, but what settings, lenses, filters, etc do I need to create a clear point of view where moving around a lot is essential. The scene I want to do is either with a reporter who gets attacked on an ambush in Iraq as seen through the camera lens, or, as a scene from a Soldier's point of view for later on in the movie, instead of having it from a reporters camera view. I have a miniDV so that's the quality I'm going with for the look, but like I said, my MiniDV does not offer the clear quick motions I'm looking for. Then again, maybe it'll have to stay like that for the persepctive. Any thoughts? thanks.

Does anyone know what film format, speed, and anything else special I need to know in order to get the cinematic Point of View scene like in Saving Private Ryan where you see the action from the characters point of view? When I move my camera around like that, I get blurred and dizziying images. Now I'm sure getting an HD camera will most likely help, but what settings, lenses, filters, etc do I need to create a clear point of view where moving around a lot is essential. The scene I want to do is either with a reporter who gets attacked on an ambush in Iraq as seen through the camera lens, or, as a scene from a Soldier's point of view for later on in the movie, instead of having it from a reporters camera view. I have a miniDV so that's the quality I'm going with for the look, but like I said, my MiniDV does not offer the clear quick motions I'm looking for. Then again, maybe it'll have to stay like that for the persepctive. Any thoughts? thanks.

You don't need to do anything other than up the shutter speed...I'm not a camera operator, so I'm not sure how to do that. I don't think you need to mess with the f-stop...but again, I'm not sure.

You can lock the shutter speed some how and it will mask the artifacts seen from the motion blur.

If you look at films like 28 Days Later (shot on HD)...you'll notice some scenes have particularly high shutter speeds...you can particularly tell by the rain fall...you can actually see the drops coming down. This will pick up faster actions in detail...same method that sports footage captures...and it will work for your high action POV shots.

This is the same thing Saving Ryan's Privates did...you'll notice by the highly detailed dirt explosions on the beach and such...

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing actually. I know the higher the shutter speed the more detail is let in, so yeah, maybe it's a simple thing as that. The reason I was asking is because I don't have a camera that has the ability to change the shutter speed yet, Im still working on deciding which camera I want to purchase, but until then, I was just wondering if there was another technique or lense used to do this, probably not though.

Back