i have a 1000-1200 budget for my first camera,,

I'm a film student looking to buy my first camera. Any suggestions?

I want something relatively mobile and easy to use.
Has a good lens and sharp picture.

I'm asking a similar question on another thread -- about HD versus mini-DV, at the low low budget end of the spectrum. You're probably researching cameras too, can I ask whether you've committed to one or the other yet? HD or min-DV? And what's deciding you, pro or con?

I'm a film student looking to buy my first camera. Any suggestions?

I want something relatively mobile and easy to use.
Has a good lens and sharp picture.
There are three things that are VERY important when getting a camera:

Three CCD’s or CMOS
Manual controls for the iris, shutter, focus and white balance.
A microphone input.

The JVC GZ-HD7, the first of the JVC HDD cameras is now a little over a year
old and discontinued, but I’ve seen these on line for as little as $800. A really
nice Fujinon lens makes a huge difference and full manual controls is important.
Three 1/5’ 16:9 progressive scan CCD’s are pretty impressive for a camera in
this price range. It has manual controls, a mic input and an excellent focus ring
which is surprisingly rare on small cameras. It records directly to a built in 60GB
hard drive. The issue here is the MPEG-2 compression (TOD). It’s not compatable
with many NLE’s so you’ll need to convert the TOD to QuickTime or AVI.

The GZ-HD6 can record 1080/60p through HDMI - pretty impressive.

The GZ-HD40 is a bit of a disapointment. I like that it records using AVCHD
compression which makes it compatable with most NLE’s but it loses the important
focus ring. And it’s so small.

The Panasonic HDC-SD100 uses a 3-CMOS array and records 1920 x 1080 video
in the AVCHD format to SD and SDHC memory cards. I like the ring on the lens
that controls zoom, focus, white balance, shutter speed, and iris and it actually has
a viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen. Very important it has both a mic and
headphone jack. I found it difficult to handle with all the cables attached (mic,
headphones and monitor) but it’s a camera with all the basics.

Close is the Canon HV20. It records in HDV (1080i) and 24p (60i), has a mic input
and manual controls of white balance and focus but it uses one 1/2.7” CMOS sensor
rather than 3 CCD’s. And it’s so small the handling is difficult.

The HV30 adds a 30f (Canon’s “frame mode”) in addition to 24p.

The Sony HDR-SR12 has a mic input and a good sized 120GB HDD. It uses a 1/3” CMOS
chip and like the Canon is really small. Because of the input placement, the mic cable
kept getting in my way. The HR9 (which records to tape) is also a nice, very small,
camera with the essentials. Again the mic input is just below the lens which is rather poor
placement, in my opinion.

Pushing the price cap is the Sony HD1000U. It’s $1,400 and has all the esentials. The touch
screen is too unusual for me - I’m old school - but it workes quite well. I like that it’s a
shoulder mount camera. It only uses one CMOS Sensor, but the image was very nice.

directorik has a lot of great points, and presents some very good camcorders. However I would like to clarify some minor details left out.

To start, the JVC GZ-HD7 is a great camera, however the short coming is just as directorik had said. The file system used by jvc in it's hard drive camcorders at the time is proprietary to only jvc's very limited editing program. To go along with this, the file that is used becomes worst when converted to something that is compatible with another editing software, as which happens when most files are changed they lose bits of data that could harm the image.

That being said, most hard drive camcorders do produce a file that is able to be used on most editing software, however all of these files have one problem. They are heavily compressed, and lower the quality that the lens and sensor can actually produce.

This is even true when using the new AVCHD camcorders, which has become the new standard of High Def Hard Drive camcorders. The format is really good for an average consumer who wants to see their images on a big hdtv, however when loaded to a computer there is very little this format can do after being edited. About the only place this video could be played is back through the camcorder, or on a blu ray player.

Moving on to the different sensor types. After using both types in many camcorders, the short conclusion I have came up with is. Standard def stick with the ccd or three ccd camcorders. These give a much sharper image and look good in low light. Panasonic, Sony, and canon are commonly said to be the best. High Def camcorders usually look better when using CMOS sensors. The most noticeable difference is when there is a lot of movement, the CMOS is able to keep the most fluid looking image.

So to conclude i would recommend a few camcorders that would work really well. All of which will be mini-dv, based on the ease of use, and compatibility.

Standard def.
Panasonic three ccd camcorders, look for ones with the mic input, the focusing ring, and Leica lens.
Older canon camcorders with the Mic input are usually cheap and good quality.
Sony DCR-HC96 (I own)

High Def
Any early sony High Def consumer camera. especially the hdr-hc1HDR-HC1
All of the Canon HV series, preferably the HV20 and HV30
And to step up one of the following Canon XL H1, Canon XH A1, Sony HDR-FX7

Back