First Professional Camcorder

http://www.cameraco.com/Panasonic-AG-DVC20-p/agdvc20.htm

What do you guys think for my first pro camcorder? This is all I can afford. I looked and made sure it had the 3ccd. I know it's miniDV so to transfer my footage from my camcorder to my computer I would need to buy a firewire cable correct? Is there anything else I should know about transfering to my computer. Responses would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

I don't know anything about the specific camera in question, but yah... you'll need a firewire cable.

The camera-end of the firewire cable will be a 4-pin. The computer-side will either be 4-pin or 6-pin. (My desktop is 6; my laptop is 4) So it's handy to know which cable you need, before driving down to your local store.

Make sure your harddrive spins at 7200rpm or faster. Any slower, and you'll drop a lot of frames while importing. Ideally, import your footage to an external drive (for cheap massive storage, and to avoid having your editing software running on the same drive as the footage)

Read up on your editing software to learn how to batch-capture (as opposed to importing the entire lot of footage. Saves a tonne of space) Also, learn how to make a backup copy of the batch capture log... so if your harddrive blows up, you can simply import it again with no hassle.

I'm rambling. :(

I gave that camera a test drive in 2006. It’s a nice entry level
camera. I liked that it is shoulder mounted and the focus ring is
quite professional but it’s missing XLR inputs - which is too bad
- and the 1/6 inch CCD’s are pretty tiny.

An external hard drive is a hard drive that is not inside your
computer.

Back