Mini DV............HV20...problem

Hi i saw the result of HV 20 of Wills video and fell in love with HV 20

I wanted to buy it when i will gather money but the issue at the momment is it uses mini DV............it means more and more cassetes will be used......can i know any substitute instead of mini DV....i will prefer a if a HARD disk is attached like 100 or 120 GB. any solution........If i will use mini DV then the pressure will be always on me of using the Mini DV carefully.....and i dont like this burden. Any solution

Regards

Dude, miniDV tapes are cheap.. so don't worry. I have most short films of mine shot on two-three tapes, and while our feature was shot on approximately 50 MiniDV tapes, that was over 3 years with other projects as well.

When you get into "film", then you have to start being conservative about takes and stuff... MiniDV tapes aren't going to make your production go broke, so I wouldn't worry about it too much...

But if you do shoot HD, there are direct-to-hard-drive methods which seem to work pretty well... just look up any film equipment rental place and ask them if they have them, how they work, etc...

Tapes also give you a physical backup of your work that you can archive in case something goes wrong with your harddrive (I've lost entire projects due to hardware failure, so backups are a good thing).

I trust my individual tapes more than I trust my harddrives.

Thanks for the reply.........Well you are right knightly about the Backup thing..........i was also thinking about it.........but dont you think after i have shot my film i can tranfer it on DVDs and CDS to have a Backup. DVDs here are very cheap.

Or do you think the quality will be lost when my film will be transferred to DVDs from HARD Drive...

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

DVDs don't hold that much, really, though.

One hour of plain mini-dv takes up 13 gb of space. That's 3 dvds, right there.

- Keep your original tapes
- Keep a harddrive with all the needed footage
- On a dvd, store a copy of the Edit Decision List (EDL) and a reference-copy of what the final cut looked like. Maybe the mastered sound. Whatever.

If your harddrive blows up (yup, it happens), you can use the EDL with the original tapes to re-create what you lost. (I 'spose you'd need the batch import list archived, too)

Last edited:
I believe testing has also shown that miniDV tapes have a longer archival life than DVD media (all depending where its stored of course)

ad2478: if you really want to record to hard disk, you could look into the blackmagic intensity card. It would mean you'd have to cart along a full sized computer on all your shoots, but you can record full 1920x1080 footage in 4:2:2 colorspace from the HDMI port on an HV20 or HV30 with it.

Another option would be to use firewire (which means you can get away with using a laptop, much easier to carry around...) and use the Adobe OnLocation software. It comes with the production suite, and I think it might come with just the standalone premiere pro package as well. But it's a VERY useful piece of software, and will get you recording to hard disk...

I would still use tapes with either of these solutions, because then you have a hard copy. Never know when a hard drive could fail, it could very well happen in the middle of a shoot, leaving you no time to make a backup after the fact. It's definitely better to get the tape copy as you shoot. And as everyone has said, tape is cheap. 5 miniDV tapes generally cost no more than $20 or $25 (USD), and in most cases that would be enough to make 2 short films. Each tape is 63 minutes, so there's a lot to work with there.

To put it into perspective, 5 hours of super 8 film stock would cost you roughly $1000 (it would take roughly 85 super 8 cartridges to get 5 hours worth of film) -- and that's just the raw film stock. It would then take you roughly another $1000 to process all of that film, and unless you were going to edit it by hand, another $1000 or so to have it transfered to a digital format for editing (which generally would be miniDV, because it is inexpensive...)

So. $20-25 of miniDV tape, or $3000 of super 8 film for the same end result.. When you look at it from the proper point of view, it's painfully clear how inexpensive miniDV tape really is. :)

Thanks for the contribution.

I think Mini Dv is a better option.......will just have to work HARD. By the way Will you are rocking. Looks like you are again going to get the Honour for being member of the month.

I am geting jelous

Lolzzzzzzzzz

Since winners are awarded a year of premiere membership (or a year extension) I doubt the same person is eligible to win more than once in a year. There are an awful lot of members in this forum.. many more deserving to win than me.

oki agree with you. after all you are one of my GURUS.........

but remmebr GURU jee that this honour is for one who is more informative and whose behavious is good. I think all of us are beahving well...........and well about informative............hmmm you are informative.......infact very informative.

Regards

Back