So, Microphones

Hello all.

I've been pretty serious about making short films for years now. I've made a few that could only be regarded to as "trial runs", but now I'm ready for the real thing. My productions will all be no-budgets (as in, under 100 for each film). My work is being made with youtube/megavideo in mind, so my crappy archaic Sony Handycam shall do the trick. But as all consumer camcorders, it does not have an XLR input. One thing I've learned from my "trial runs", is that sound is as important as video, and the onboard microphone will never cut it. I've been doing a lot of research on microphones this past month, and I really need the help of someone who uses consumer/prosumer equipment.

-XLR vs 3.5mm mini inputs. I don't have XLR, as I mentioned. I could get a microphone with a mini jack, or I can get an XLR microphone with 3.5mm to XLR converter (adapters are too expensive for me). Which is the better way to go?

-If I get a semi-decent shotgun mic, that CLAIMS to operate well at distances of 20 feet, would mounting it on top of my camera be enough? (I don't actually plan to stand 20 feet away for my dialogue scenes). Or will I have to resort to the good ol' boompole? CAN I use a boom pole with a 3.5mm mini jack microphone? Or will the interference of a long cable be too much?

I've narrowed it down to two microphones. One mini stereo jack, and the other an XLR. Help me choose:
http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic...hone/dp/B0007U9SOC/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_img_in

http://www.amazon.com/Azden-Sgm-2x-...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1227638241&sr=1-1

Get the mic with the XLR. It will outlast your camera by many years.

No. Mounting any mic, even a top of the line Sennheiser, on the
camera won't give you good audio. The further away the mic is from
the actors, the higher the volume needs to be. The higher the volume,
the more “noise” you get. Your goal is to have a very high signal to
noise ratio - more signal (the dialogue) less noise (the background).

Im my experience the Rode is a poor microphone. The Azden is slightly
better.

Thank you very much for the advice.

If I use the Azden with my current camera and an XLR converter, is it going to destroy my sound quality? I heard that using a long mini cable is a BAD idea. Would the same stand for a long XLR cable + a converter? Logically, I think i'll be fine, given that the information is passed through the XLR cable, and only converted to a mini signal at the very end. However, can someone confirm/deny this?

Edit: You also mentioned sennheiser. Are these generally better than other microphones? There's a sennheiser capsule head for 200 on amazon right now. Does that mean I'll have to buy the rest of the parts separately?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-ME...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1227803065&sr=1-2

Last edited:
That will cut down most of the electrical interference you'd otherwise most likely run into, but you still may have gain issues, and often times the preamps built into these cameras are fairly poor. But, since it's a fairly cheap option, it would be worth testing to see if you are happy with the results.

Personally, I think you'll be happier if you save money to buy a beachtek at some point...

As for Sennheiser, yes they are generally considered a nicer mic. You would also need THIS power unit in conjunction with the capsule head you linked to, and really you'd probably be better off with the longer capsule head.

The rule of thumb with shotgun mics is that the longer they are, the more directional they are.. Once you start shooting wider shots that require the boom to be 10+ feet away, the very directional longer shotgun mics are important. They will suit you well in closer range too.

I think you'll probably be happy with the Azden, but here's a couple other options:

Audio Technica AT8035
Audio Technica AT897

Thanks!

XLR microphone it is. Out of the 3 (Azden, and the two ATs), which would you reccomend?
Also, if I do get a beachtek, would I have any use for it if I get an XLR capable camcorder in a few years?

Oh, and also, i don't believe I can use an XLR to mini converter for mics that are phantom powered. Are any of the three above battery powered?

Thanks!

XLR microphone it is. Out of the 3 (Azden, and the two ATs), which would you reccomend?
Also, if I do get a beachtek, would I have any use for it if I get an XLR capable camcorder in a few years?

Oh, and also, i don't believe I can use an XLR to mini converter for mics that are phantom powered. Are any of the three above battery powered?
No you would no longer need the beachtek with a camera that has xlr inputs, but you could resell it for probably pretty close to what you buy it for.

The two ATs are battery powered I think.. all the specs should be at the provided links.

On the site, it has both Phantom, and battery (AA) specs. Does that mean it uses BOTH at the same time, or that I can use either one? If it's the latter, I'm definitely getting an Audio-Technica AT897.

Thank you SO MUCH!

No, that means that it can be powered by phantom power from a mixer, preamp, etc.. or the battery will provide the power. The mic will be a little less responsive on battery power than it would when powered by phantom power..

Last edited:
Back