Rent or Purchase a Camera

I have a question. I have been back and forth with if I should purchase a camera, or rent. I'm getting a lot of comments that I should just rent. So then if anything happens to the camera during the shoot, I can just have the rental company deal with the problem. I have a shoot coming up in a few months, so I have to settle this soon. I'm going to be shooting Super16mm.

Thoughts?

-Richard

This is both a business and personal decision. And really difficult to offer
advice without knowing all the goals of the camera buyer.

On the personal level the question is; do you want to own a 16mm camera?
If you want to own then regardless of another filmmakers opinion you
should become a camera owner.

On the business side:

Strictly financial - run the numbers. If you are making one film on 16mm
does it make financial sense to purchase or to rent? How many film will
you make on 16mm in the next year? Can you amortize the purchase price
over two or more films?

An excellent, well maintained used 16mm camera with a lens and all the
accessories (Arri or Aaton) are expensive pieces of equipment. One very
good point is if your personal camera goes down for any reason, your shoot
day is over. Maybe even several days lost.

On the personal level I own several 16mm cameras and used them for
many years. On the business level when I made my last 16mm feature
(five years ago) I rented a top of the line Arri.

On the personal level I own several 16mm cameras and used them for
many years. On the business level when I made my last 16mm feature
(five years ago) I rented a top of the line Arri.

Rik nailed the answer here... pros almost always rent, because renting allows you to use better equipment than you could buy.

As any film is a massive investment, you want the best equipment you can get access to.

However, there are also style issues... some film makers think there are advantages to having kit they know inside and out. That way you don't have to think about what you are doing. Having your own kit allows that.

Thank you both for your comments, most appreciated! I think I'm going to rent. The reason why, is I just don't want to take the chance of having camera issue's. Not that I think I WOULD have one, but as you both know, timing is everything. Especially when you are working with people that aren't necessarily getting paid, if something screws up with the scheduling or equipment, to REschedule can be a pain, AND set me back.

Although, I do see your point clive about knowing your equipment, and what it will do.

Thank you both!

-Richard

Back