Canon XH A1

I'm just looking at the Canon XH A1 on amazon and in the technical details it says that it captures: true 1080 resolution... then it says: Three 1/3-inch 16:9 CCDs (1.67 megapixels)...
1080 resolution?.... but 1.67 megapixels... whats resolution and whats pixels...(actually i know what pixels is)... I just wanna know: How can a 1.67 megapixel camera look clear on a very large screen?! (their filming Crank 2 with it)...

It really comes down to viewing distance. An image from a DVD (720x480) can look pretty decent on a large screen if you are a reasonable distance away from the screen. The XH-A1 shoots @ 1440x1080. At 100% (1920x1080 display pixels) the image is somewhat soft, but it looks great on a high definition television. I'm sure it would project well enough from an HD digital projector. The catch with HDV is in color depth, since the compression squeezes a lot of color bandwidth out of the image. I've been pretty happy with the video I've shot on it. Some of it looks extraordinary. The things that don't look as good are images with large dark areas, because the compression does add some noise to the image that is visible in dark areas. There are filters for cleaning up noise.

I hope this helps.

Doug

Back