CAMERA REVIEW: PANASONIC DVX 100A

PLEASE REMEMBER:
THESE REVIEWS ARE THE OPINIONS OF THOSE WHO HAVE USED THEM AND NOT A DEBATE. THE INTENT IS TO TELL YOU WHAT THE CAMERA IS LIKE TO USE. :)

PANASONIC DVX 100A To See Camera: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._AGDVX100B_Panasonic_AG_DVX100B_3CCD_24p.html

The DVX 100A digital video camera is one of the better prosumer cameras to date.
It's very lightweight, only 4.2 lbs., and can be handled, if necessary with one hand. The hand strap is very snug and secure, which if you use this camera you will appreciate.

As with many cameras, the on-camera microphone is functional, but you really want a good shotgun camera to attach to it. Even then, the DVX is still quite maneuverable, even with one hand. There are 2 XLR inputs for your audio. When in operation, the LCD monitor screen is clear and I prefer it to the eyepiece. To keep track of your audio levels, the LCD screen has 2 audio tracks that operate like VU meters and even when in very loud areas, the audio can be controlled so as not to over modulate your sound, even if you are leaning against loud music amplifiers.

There are two ways of zooming on this camera. There is a zoom where your hand strap is and one on top of the camera where the handle is. The 'hand strap' zoom is more precise than the 'handle' zoom, but the handle zoom does come in handy if the camera is in an awkward position.

All controls and filters are easily accessible.

The DVX 100a, in addition to standard, will shoot in 24p and advanced 24p. The dial to change your camera from standard to 24p is easily accessible, and levels can be programed into the camera. This is done with the controls that are assigned for the VCR operation for the camera, although using the camera as a VCR will damage the play heads of your camera so doing this isn't recommended. The displays for these changes are pretty easy to operate. The manual is also pretty easy to understand and go through.

The picture and color that you get from this camera is excellent. Low light operation is also excellent. One of the best things about this camera is its handling. If you have a steady hand, you can do many things without a tripod, though a tripod is recommended for any filmmaker. Its small size and light weight is a great advantage to its usage and manueverability.

The PANASONIC DVX 100a is priced at $2500 new at B&H and the used version is still close in price.

RENTAL for the PANASONIC DVX 100a is $200 per day/ $600 per week in accordance with ROSCOR RENTALS, who has rentals in Mt. Prospect, IL and Farmington Hills(Detroit) Michigan. The 100b is a similar camera,(waiting for review) The HVX200 (the HD version) is $275 per day/$825 per week (waiting for review).

This Camera Is Recommended By:
Spinner,

PLEASE SEND YOUR REVIEW/INFO TO SPINNER SO THAT THE POST CAN BE AMENDED AND INFO ADDED.

We Still Need Reviews for:
CANON XL series, RED, any JVC, SONY or any video/film camera one might want to review. Don't forget prices and places to possibly take a look at something that was shot with your particular camera.

I will be putting together a RECOMMENDED READING post as well. What books do you recommend and thier authors for filmmaking, lighting, screenwriting and/or story structure, fundraising, proposal writing, film festivals, etc.

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
CAMERA REVIEW: PANASONIC GS65

PLEASE REMEMBER:
THESE REVIEWS ARE THE OPINIONS OF THOSE WHO HAVE USED THEM AND NOT A DEBATE. THE INTENT IS TO TELL YOU WHAT THE CAMERA IS LIKE TO USE. :)

PANASONIC GS65

I was unable to find this particular camera, which is a 1.2 mega pixel 3CCD camera. However, I found one that was similar:
Panasonic PV-GS320 3 Look here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477103-REG/Panasonic_PVGS320_PV_GS320_3_CCD_Mini.html

You can purchase this camera at: Meijer, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc

My usage of this camera is limited, however...

The audio cannot be expected to be as good as prosumer cameras. However, I was surprised at the audio that I got from the camera without an additional microphone. I thought the audio was good for the money, though a separate better microphone is recommended. There is an input for a mic.

There is an input for a headset, you can connect a firewire output as well. It comes with one battery.

The focus cannot be expected to be as good as prosumer cameras. That said the focus is okay for a palm corder, its alittle touchy and strange to use if you are used to the prosumer cameras, but you don't lose your focus if you are in MANUAL. Remember AUTO FOCUS will try to re-adjust if there is movement in front of the camera.

The LCD screen is pretty good, watch out for your fingerprints.

There is a memory card, which I have never used, still picture capability, which I have never used, though the general opinion that I have heard is that the stills may not be that great. (waiting for additional information)
There is a joystick for easier usage and even a 'shoe' on the camera for a light.

The picture/color cannot be expected to be as good as prosumer cameras. That said, the color is okay but may need some adjustment depending on your personal preference.

It's not a bad camera, especially if you are just starting out. I have used it predominantly for overall wide shots and playback to import video into my computer to edit.

THE PANASONIC GS65, or its equivalent, ranges between $350 - $700

This Camera Is Recommended For Beginners By:
Spinner,
Remember, that any camera you can afford is okay to start on....:yes:

PLEASE SEND YOUR REVIEW/INFO TO SPINNER SO THAT THE POST CAN BE AMENDED AND INFO ADDED.

We Still Need Reviews for: CANON XL series, RED, any JVC, SONY or any video/film camera one might want to review. Don't forget prices and places to possibly take a look at something that was shot with your particular camera.

I will be putting together a RECOMMENDED READING post as well. What books do you recommend and thier authors for filmmaking, lighting, screenwriting and/or story structure, fundraising, proposal writing, film festivals, etc.

-- spinner :cool:

Back