• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Technical Term

Anyone know what the technical term for the light cluster in the b/g of this shot would be? I've noticed it a lot on "Lost" and in a few films recently.

They're just lights in the background with a long lens (zoomed in) blowing out the focus on the background elements. Street lights when in focus, throw more light than can be captured, but it's confined to a small space. As the light spreads out from blurring the focus, the overdriven light blooms outward making the pretty circle of light you see there. Just frame with a lighted bridge in the background, or some city lights. Shoot for shallow DoF and watch the beautiful blooming in the background.

I know how to accomplish the effect with building lights or lights on a bridge or even a few strings of big bulb Christmas lights or cars on a highway at night (also, aiming a light at a group of wine glasses or shot glasses works well -- did this in a bar a few weeks back).

I was just wondering if anyone knew if Hollywood DPs had access to certain rigs that bunched lights together like this, and if anyone knew the term for said rig.

This...

...looks like city lights. This...

...looks more like a rig -- possibly a dome grid where lights are placed every few feet apart, with the peak of the dome being fifteen feet tall -- place something like that fifty feet or so behind your actor. What do you call that rig, and if it doesn' exist can we call it the Nick Rig?

how about putting small colored tissue paper windows in a large sheet of construction paper and calling it the kintergarten rig? (or gels + diffusion in a chunk of foamcore, backlit).

I call it a "colored nicklight".

Looking at the two pictures, it just looks like the same shot (second slightly more to the right) zoomed in on a 35mm camera. Same setup. The reason it looks slightly like a rig is that we're used to longer DoF, so less blooming...digital is in your blood! The machines are taking over.

Back