Canon releases HD version of the GL series.

I have to admit, that Canon is a very sexy camera. Unfortunately, the Canon records in HDV (Compressed video and audio, sound sync issues). Personally, I prefer the Panasonic HVX200 that shoots in uncompressed DVCPRO HD and PCM audio on memory cards. I'll hoping to get one next year.

The problem with the HVX200 is the memory cards cost and arm and a leg. Or a tankful of gas if you have a Hummer.

I know it's in a completely different price range, but I was impressed with the features on Panasonics new AJ-HDX900. HD/SD 4:2:2, 100Mbps, 2/3" CCD, uncompressed audio ... all around better than the puny HDV cams at 19Mbps, 1/3" CCD, 4:2:0, and MPEG compressed audio. 2/3" CCD will give better selective focus, and they claim to have dynamic range controls, gamma curve adjustments, etc. You'll also get better lenses in the 2/3" range.

I'm waiting to see what the actually price will be. The MSRP at $27K for just the body is too steep for me. I'm working to justify the price of "Red" at $17.5K. However, the more "real" HD cameras that become available, the more cost competitive they'll have to be. I'm excited about the future. I'm not sold on HDV; even though it is an amazing [consumer] format.

I played with the JVC HD100, and I was not terribly impressed. It's a great camera for HDV. It has some very nice features, but you need to record your audio separately, if you won't want highly compressed audio. Also, the lens that ships with it for that great price is not a very good lens.

Don't get me wrong, in the HDV world, it's probably a standout deal. I was amazed at how inexpensive it was, for what you are getting. However, if you can't afford to switch lenses on it, the Panasonic HD with solid state media is a much more versatile camera, IMO. On the other hand, if you are actually going to buy more lenses, the JVC has the edge there.

Agreed. The P2 cards aren't ideal. Most of my customers who are using the Panasonic HD camcorder are doing mostly SD 4:2:2 (DV 50Mbps) recording to tape. If the JVC would give me the 4:2:2 50Mbps option (with 16bit,48Khz, 2 channel, PCM audio), I'd be more inclined to buy it. I see it the Panasonic as a more versatile option. My thoughts on the P2 cards is that they will get less expensive and higher capacity version will become available.

The Panasonic HVX200 that records 1080i/60 or 1080p/30 and 1080p/24 starts at $5999. That includes to 4GB P2 cards.

B&H has a unique bundle they put together of the standard retail camera box plus two 8GB P2 cards for another $2k. It's not a bad price, but I recently received the free technial overview DVD from Panasonic about it and it was very impressive.

Expensive as hell, but very impressive. This is where I'm putting my money.

Click HERE to get your free DVD.

In the case, you'll get two DVDs. One, a straight video demo (awesome presentation, it hooked me) and the other is a PC DVD with software on it. I never put the data DVD in my PC, I'm a paranoid person about dropping alien media in my box without knowing what's on it. But the presentation DVD is well worth the order! You don't even pay for S&H.

I like it, but not really sold on it to spend $ for it. It always seems like something less compressed is just around the corner. HDV seems like too much of a compromise and it's awkward to use the HD-SDI output. The Panasonic solutions built around DVCPRO HD will probably get less expensive over time. And of course everyone is waiting for the Red camera under the Christmas tree.

I hope so. $5999 for a prosumer camera is a bit high. Hopefully, by the beginning of next year, the price will drop on DVCPRO HD cameras to something more affordable. Perhaps around $4000? Yeah, that's the ticket. 1080/24p for $4000.

"I'll buy that for a dollar!" (Guess the movie this line is from)

that would be from Robocop...I found a workflow on a different board where folks are using to developer utils from apple's firewire software developer's kit (SDK). one is Virtual DVHS and the other is a transcoder which they use to convert the M2T's from that app to DVCProHD for editing...What are the thoughts on that from the More Technical HD folks on here.

Sweet I ordered a DVD just now. i'm looking forward to seeing those DVDs and playing with the DVCPRO HD footage on my editor.

I've been very intersted in this camera for some time... I think DVCPRO50 looks way better then DVCAM. I want to find someone local to rent this camera from to play around with for a couple of days.

Upsetting news on that DVD:

As I said before, there's test footage and an executable 'viewer' program on the DVD. When attempting to install the viewer, it gives me an error that the P2 drivers must already be installed on the PC to install the viewer. Guess what? They don't supply the P2 drivers on the DVD! :grrr:

I called Panasonic and they told me that to download the drivers, I must own the camera as the drivers must have the serial number of the camera entered into it to enable them online. :bang:

I asked if there was any way around it and they said no. I'm now waiting to hear back from the Panasonic product manager about it. The guy I spoke to on the phone was on my side, appalled they they couldn't even add basic drivers to view the footage, but he's asking around to see if there are 'unlocked' drivers he could email me. I'll update you if I can get a copy of an unlocked demo driver.

Silly.

Last edited:
Back