Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Film Market > Buy/Sell

Old 04-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Eddie Rex
Basic - Premiere Expired

Question Canon XL2

Is the Canon XL2 camcorder worth its money?

Currently i am looking for a more professional camera of broadcast standard and noticed a Canon XL2 priced at 3299 (about $4700) brand new. However i am unsure if the Canon XL2 is the right choice, so does anyone have any suggestions?
Eddie Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 04-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Beeblebrox
Basic - Premiere Expired

I'd pick the DVX-100a over the XL2.
Beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
CootDog
Basic Member

Caution why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeblebrox
I'd pick the DVX-100a over the XL2.

Why?
Explain yourself.

Have you used both?

CootDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Beeblebrox
Basic - Premiere Expired

I've used both. I like the picture on the DVX better than the XL-2. And I think whatever feature advantages the XL2 has, like interchangeable lenses, aren't worth the extra cost.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
knightly
Basic Member

I have an XL1s and I really like the form factor...it just looks cool on set. The footage is relatively comparable from the samples I've seen between the DVX and the XL series. And the real advantage of the interchangeable lenses is that I can sell my fully auto lens and buy a manual lens for about the same price...I never use the auto stuff on it anyway, I think it helps to ruin production qualities.

I think you should get to somewhere that has them to check out, or find someone around you...and play with them a bit before you buy them. Bring 2 DV tapes and load one in the XL shoot some footage...do the same with the DVX and the other tape...you can take these home and use your current DV camera to import them. Look at them on a regular TV as well as on your computer.

Get the one that matches your aesthetic, I'm sure Beeblebrox can give you a series of settings that'll get a nice pix on the DVX, and someone here who has used an XL2 can give you a "magic" recipe for it also.
knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
Thunderclap
Basic - Premiere Expired

If you can afford it I'd recommend the Panasonic AG-HVX200. While both the DVX-100A/B and XL2 are good cameras I've had the opportunity to use the HVX200 on a couple projects and love it's ease of use. You have more shooting options over the DVX100 or XL2, can record onto tape or P2 cards (no capture time) and the picture is outstanding. A very professional camera.

There are a lot of options out there. I'd recommend comparing the three cameras mentioned here, add up the extra options you may want, and total up your final cost. They are all very good cameras.
Thunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
mdifilm
Basic - Premiere Expired

check out Bill Johns' Madness shot with xl2 (www.cinevidproductions.com) Personally, either the dvx100b or xl2 or hvx200 or any 3ccd would do you good as long as you know to 1. compositing of the scene, 2. light it well, 3. good story that goes with the scene, 4. good execution and you'll get a really nice project. They are just tools to make your dream and some tools can make life easier that the other, but any tool you use can always be good if you know how and what to do with it.
mdifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:03 AM   #8
Eddie Rex
Basic - Premiere Expired

Thank you all for responding.

I have checked out the Madness trailer and the picture quality of the XL2 is most impressive.
However the next thing is the price, XL2 in UK is priced at 3299 (about $4700) brand new.
HVX200 is priced at 3400 ($4900) and a bit too expensive for me.
DVX100A is priced at $1629 (about 1000) which sounds ok.

Does anyone have a link where i can see the picture quality of the DVX100A?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
Eddie Rex
Basic - Premiere Expired

Perhaps i should try hiring the DVX100A and the XL2, to see how its like to work with?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #10
mdifilm
Basic - Premiere Expired

that's probably best for you: test it out, decide from there, one of my short: En Passant was shot with DVX100A and one 100watts lightbulb and a stage light of 60wattage.

This week, I'll be releasing The Rapture teaser which was shot with Canon xl1 and Caonon Xl1s (screen grabs were posted here).

what I'm saying here is, they are good cameras if you know what you are doing with them, so perhaps best is really go out and test them out. and if $ is an issue as you stated, then you shouldn't even have to ask about which to get, obviously dvx100 is cheap and it would do you well.
mdifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #11
Beeblebrox
Basic - Premiere Expired

The feature film November, starring Courtney Cox, was shot with a DVX-100 and won the cinematography award at Sundance.

Again, IMO, the price difference is the deal maker for the DVX. All things being equal, the XL2 and DVX square off fairly equally, trading a few features here and there. I like the picture of the DVX because I think it's a little more cinematic, but that's not exactly a technical measure between the two cameras.

If you go with the DVX, you'll save hundreds of dollars that you can use for accessories, and you'll have a damn fine camera that you'll love.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
knightly
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap
If you can afford it I'd recommend the Panasonic AG-HVX200.
With HD, keep in mind that you may need to consider upgrading your capture/editing your computer/software to handle the footage/display of it. I'll be moving to HD in not too long (read: before I die). If you can hold out, you can get this:

http://www.red.com

but that's just a dream, it's not out yet.
knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
Eddie Rex
Basic - Premiere Expired

Wow! Definately a glimpse fo the future, however at $17,500 its beyond my price tag as i am not that rich!
Old 04-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #14
Beeblebrox
Basic - Premiere Expired

I'd love to get an HVX, but as knightly points out, it's DVC Pro HD, which will likely require a whole system upgrade just to handle the HD.

You might consider the new JVC HDV camera that shoots 24p (not sure of the model number). I was not a big proponent of HDV until my brother got one. It works suprisingly well, and it works on a much lower-end system than the HVX does since it uses the same bitrate as DV.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
Thunderclap
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Rex
Does anyone have a link where i can see the picture quality of the DVX100A?
You can check out my films website. It was shot on a DVX-100A.

Production Stills
Quicktime 7 Teaser

Both were posted before color correction so you can get a good sense of quality. I did notice when I coverted them to JPEG the darker stuff in the woods became a little more pixelated than they are in the actual film.
Thunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote