Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Celluloid

Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
escher
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamVader View Post
I've been comparing film to our current digital craze and the thing that can't be overlooked is the dynamic range of film. It's outstanding.
That gap is rapidly closing. High-end video cameras get get pretty close and there are already a few prototype HDR video cameras that far exceed what film is capable of.

On the lower end of things, a 5D running the CineStyle profile gets you a tremendous amount of latitude. It's not film, but it's no slouch either.

Check out "Hunter Prey". It's a low-budget sci-fi film that is mediocre from a story standpoint but the image quality is incredible. It's shot out in direct sunlight in a desert and when I saw it I couldn't figure out how they got that kind of latitude. Turns out, it was shot on some manner of RED camera.
escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #17
CamVader
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by escher View Post
That gap is rapidly closing. High-end video cameras get get pretty close and there are already a few prototype HDR video cameras that far exceed what film is capable of.

On the lower end of things, a 5D running the CineStyle profile gets you a tremendous amount of latitude. It's not film, but it's no slouch either.

Check out "Hunter Prey". It's a low-budget sci-fi film that is mediocre from a story standpoint but the image quality is incredible. It's shot out in direct sunlight in a desert and when I saw it I couldn't figure out how they got that kind of latitude. Turns out, it was shot on some manner of RED camera.
Cool! I shall. Thanks.
CamVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
PaulGriffith
Basic - Premiere Expired

In this particular case, an iPhone might be sharper haha. This camera has a pretty cheap, low resolution, fixes lens. Even though film has way more potential, if you record crap in it...

I was thinking about the development question. I bet the easiest thing to do is get it developed with the "photo cd" option. The one where they scan all your stills for you. Then, import as an image sequence to your edit software.

I still want to play with one of these, but when I have $80 to blow you know.
PaulGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #19
msp1518
Basic Member

It's a play-thing. Nothing more. Cool for those who want to muck around. But for guys like me who shoot Super8.... Meh.
msp1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #20
DJFJEKETE
Basic Member

I found this article to be very interesting. Im not interested in what it is trying to sell me but the fact that it mentions Sergei Eisenstein is very peculiar. He is one of my all time favorite filmmakers and i've never seen his name pop up in an article like that. His name seems very out of place. Talking about a Russian silent film maker i would've thought they would pick D.W. Griffith or Charlie Chaplin before Eisenstein...Never the less nothing really compares to shooting on film. You can try to emulate it and make it work but it'll never workout as great as actually getting a 16mm or 35mm film camera and shooting some film.
DJFJEKETE is offline   Reply With Quote