Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Lakesidelurker
Basic Member

Mic recomendations?

I posted about audio gear and thank you Alvco for your suggestions. I believe I would want to settle with the Marantz PMD 561. I did not know it existed last night but I looked a little further and found one. It works just like my old PMD 661 only it's a bit cheaper. I'd like to get this one because I know how to work it. however one thing concerns me is that it tends to distort easily with when the attenuation function is not on. A review I found ( Link below) suggestion turning the attenuation on -12 as this recorder is sensitive to mics like the NTG2. My plan was to get the NTG2 again for that was the one I used to have but I am willing to experiment for others because this whose potential distortion thing scares me a bit. I just don't know what the difference is though Some RHODE NTG's are shorter and others smaller. What is the difference? I plan on using these mics for my upcoming feature.

PS. I am also a little willing to get the tascam dr-701d. I haven't read anything bad about it but I wonder if getting it would be over kill for my movie.

Long question short, what would be the best mics for these two recorders- ( Marantz PMD 561 and Tascam dr-701d)? I plan for indoor and outdoor shoots also, a little picky I know but I only trust RHODE mic's
Thank you.
Lakesidelurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
AcousticAl
Basic Member

The DR-701D may be overkill. Are you planning to use the time code sync function? With DSLR or a small camcorder, it’s a safe assumption that you won’t since those cameras cannot use TC sync. Plus, the internal time code generator on that thing drifts like a paper boat down a mountain creek.

The DR-70D costs less and does everything the 701D does, except TC. Or if you don’t need that many record tracks (just one mic?) then the DR-60DmkII is perfectly fine. Really depends on your work now and where you think you’ll want to go in the near future... 2 tracks, or more? If you think you’ll eventually add wireless channels, then go for more tracks.

As for the mic, the RōDE NTG series are great, but the NTG-1 and NTG-2 (same mic, just that the 1 operates only on internal battery and the 2 can operate on the battery or on phantom power) don’t have the hottest output signals. That means that you need to make up more gain in the pre-amps, which means more noise floor. Take a good, hard look at the Audio Technica AT-875r. It’s less expensive, sounds good, and has a much hotter output. The pre-amps in any of these little recorders start to add noise above about 70% gain, so you want to make sure not to have to go that far.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
the NTG-1 and NTG-2 (same mic, just that the 1 operates only on internal battery and the 2 can operate on the battery or on phantom power) donít have the hottest output signals.
It's the other way around - The NTG-1 uses external phantom power only, the NTG-2 can use an internal battery in addition to external phantom power. The NTG-2 has a lower output level than the NTG-1. The same applies to Audio Technica; The AT875 requires external phantom power while the AT897 can use an internal battery in addition to external phantom power and has a lower output level. It seems to hold true that most budget mics that use an internal battery have lower output levels.

The Marantz PMD series pre-amps tend to distort very easily.

I'm very much into thinking about the future, versatility and compatibility. I like the DR-70d because it fits in a bag nicely, can use external battery packs and can be mounted under the camera if you're a one-man-band. Also, you are covered if someday you want to use a few lavs in addition to a boomed mic and has a flexible input/output scheme so you can send or receive audio to or from the camera.
Alcove Audio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 AM   #4
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
It's the other way around - The NTG-1 uses external phantom power only, the NTG-2 can use an internal battery in addition to external phantom power. The NTG-2 has a lower output level than the NTG-1.
Whoops. Thatís what I get for multitasking while I post.

In my experience, even with the slight difference in levels, both the NTG-1 and the NTG-2 have outputs too weak for cheaper pre-amps to handle wihtout increased noise. The AT-875 is a much better mic in this price range.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Lakesidelurker
Basic Member

I see, thanks a lot guys. I just worry about the Tascam, ive read horror stories about i that brand messing up a lot. but then again there are god stories too. it's furstrating because I don't want to get a device that's gonna screw me, but I guess that's the game. I'm gonna look a bit around on the recorders and think i'll get my ntg 2 back, I did like it a lot. thanks guys
Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesidelurker View Post
I just worry about the Tascam, ive read horror stories about i that brand messing up a lot. but then again there are god stories too. it's furstrating because I don't want to get a device that's gonna screw me, but I guess that's the game. I'm gonna look a bit around on the recorders and think i'll get my ntg 2 back, I did like it a lot. thanks guys
Iíve used Tascam recorders for years. DR-40, DR-60DmkII, DR-680, DR-WL22. Never had an issue. Zoom, however, has been problematic. Though I use Sound Devices for my primary workhorse, I always have a couple of Tascams on hand as backups. The handhelds are great for gathering SFX and atmos in the field. Theyíre also great recorders to put into risky places so it isnít an expensive recorder that gets destroyed if something goes wrong.

Thereís a case from Strut for the DR-70D that does a respectable job and comes with a basic shoulder harness. Itís not built like anything from K-Tek or PortaBrace, but the Strut case works well. Thereís also a kit available through B&H that comes with a K-Tek Stingray bag.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Lakesidelurker
Basic Member

Interesting. thanks a lot for your input.