Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

IndieTalk is performing upgrades and will be back soon. Posting is disabled until further notice.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #16
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Could have been so much better. Some parts look like it was done by the team of Babylon 5 ....The only thing we see of Wakanda, are a farm and street....
Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 AM   #17
Quality
Basic Member

What did you expect Wakanda to look like, New York?
Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 AM   #18
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality View Post
What did you expect Wakanda to look like, New York?
I would expect to see more than one street and a farm....
Old 01-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #19
Quality
Basic Member

When they first entered Wakanda we saw an entire city.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #20
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

For what it's (not) worth, I loved Black Panther.

I'm not a super hero fan, and I couldn't tell a DC character from a Marvel character if my life depended on it. But I thought the story was interesting as were the characters, and the actors were terrific.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #21
robotkubo
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
For what it's (not) worth, I loved Black Panther.

I'm not a super hero fan, and I couldn't tell a DC character from a Marvel character if my life depended on it. But I thought the story was interesting as were the characters, and the actors were terrific.
I agree, I think the story and acting were wonderful, I feel as if I can understand the dislike towards it as it isn't nearly has well done as the many other marvel films it is still good.
robotkubo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #22
pedramyz
Basic Member

I remember myself talking about the rigged standards when I just joined this forum and everybody was so quick to attack me on this subject matter. Interesting how 5 months later people are whining about the pool of nominees. As directoric mentioned there just can’t be any awards for the best film as it is impossible to choose from all the movies through out the year and with all sorts of different genres. But still, it hurts to see the most prestigious film award of the world often (not all the time) failing to even recognize what a good movie is. there is nothing wrong with finance and publicity but people, specially professionals in this industry, should stop giving so much credit to this academy awards. In my opinion, there should be a difference between publicity and quality. Not all the time publicity equals quality.

Last edited by pedramyz; 01-27-2019 at 11:09 AM.
pedramyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
Quality
Basic Member

The Academy Award is no different than any sport. It's fixed. I knew that for years now.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I'm not saying black panther is a bad movie. Acting was all top notch.
I'm saying it's by no means the best movie of the year.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #25
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Be Kind Rewind made a interesting video about the oscars of 1999 and how Harvey Weinstein manipulated the win of Shakespeare in Love. It's just money..... This race is fixt indeed.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #26
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

It's entertainment. A yearly TV show. A comedy really, when you consider the host and some of the results. I don't watch any of these shows. I do enjoy seeing underdogs get their props. And those deserving. Otherwise I could care less about the Hollywood elite gushing over each other and acting humble. It is what is is. A TV show about movie stars.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #27
peacemaker
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality View Post
The Academy Award is no different than any sport. It's fixed. I knew that for years now.
There are always snubs & surprises & some biases in the Academy Award but I wouldn't go that far to say it's fixed.

None of the award ceremony is going to satisfy everyone. When compared to previous Oscar winning films like The Godfather or The Best Years of Our Lives or Casablanca, Bohemian Rhapsody or A star is born is not even half close. I would say the quality of films have come down that even films like Black Panther gets Best Picture nomination. I liked Black Panther to some extent but putting it in the same level as other Oscar winning films might be a joke.

It's not the Academy, but the overall quality of films have gone down (Foreign films may be exemption). Academy is always Academy, not perfect but fairly decent.
peacemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #28
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
It's not the Academy, but the overall quality of films have gone down (Foreign films may be exemption). Academy is always Academy, not perfect but fairly decent.
I call BS. Bad films have always been made. Every era. Real bombs. And real good films. Just like today. In fact a lot of the older classics don't hold up. Chalking it up to "the times" is simply ignorant.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #29
peacemaker
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
I call BS. Bad films have always been made. Every era. Real bombs. And real good films. Just like today. In fact a lot of the older classics don't hold up. Chalking it up to "the times" is simply ignorant.
True, bad films have always been made. But it is hard to see films with extra-ordinary calibers like The Godfather, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sound of Music these days.
peacemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #30
robotkubo
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
True, bad films have always been made. But it is hard to see films with extra-ordinary calibers like The Godfather, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sound of Music these days.
I disagree, There are still many extremely fantastic films like the ones you listed, Hollywood studios will more then likely put more money into large franchise films as they are more guaranteed to have a return on investment. The entire system of what movies are nominated and what movies win is completely political and not based on what film is better at all.
saying it isn't the the state of Hollywood and the academy but the fact that movies just aren't as good as the old days is just a cop out.
robotkubo is online now   Reply With Quote