Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Filmmaking Misc.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Patrik P
Basic Member

Recreational videography

Hello filmmaking community!

How many recreational videographers are here?

By recreational I mean just starting out, doing if for fun and that kind of videographers

Let's chat and share experiences, the voyage is awesome but the struggle is real
Patrik P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

I'm doing it for fun..............and money......
Feutus Lapdance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Patrik P
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feutus Lapdance View Post
I'm doing it for fun..............and money......
Yeah well, money is always welcome!

What do you think is the hardest part of it all?

For me it's finding good music. And I don't mean where but finding the right track for the overall vibe I want to transfer to the viewer.

Any tips on that?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik P View Post
What do you think is the hardest part of it all? For me it's finding good music. And I don't mean where but finding the right track for the overall vibe I want to transfer to the viewer. Any tips on that?
It's just LOTS and LOTS of listening. Also, a bit of formal music knowledge (history, appreciation, etc.) will be an asset. There is also whether you are using copyrighted works (as many YouTubers do) or looking for "new" "original" tracks; your search parameters will be different.

When I wear my music supervisors hat I first look for well known tracks that work (or temp music that has already been supplied by the client), then start in on similar sounding music my clients can afford - there are many indie music sites where bands will let you use their material for just credit(s) and, sometimes, a small fee. As you are a hobbyist this doesn't completely apply to you, but most definitely should be kept in mind.

Have Fun, and Good Luck!!!
Alcove Audio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:29 AM   #5
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik P View Post
Yeah well, money is always welcome!

What do you think is the hardest part of it all?

For me it's finding good music. And I don't mean where but finding the right track for the overall vibe I want to transfer to the viewer.

Any tips on that?
Wel... Im also a DJ as a hobby. If I have a event or person I try to capture the feeling of the vibe of that person in music.
Like this edit. For this person I get this funky, fun and ritmic feeling. So I look for music that captures that. Its a bit of trial and error.

For Marth Kinder I get this feeling of dreams from her performances but she also feels very grounded and adventures in how she presented herself. I slowt the music down 10% to match the feeling of her performance and how she is.

Kevin Macleod made a fun side with good stuff to work with.
https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/faq.html

Last edited by Feutus Lapdance; 02-11-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 AM   #6
Patrik P
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
It's just LOTS and LOTS of listening. Also, a bit of formal music knowledge (history, appreciation, etc.) will be an asset. There is also whether you are using copyrighted works (as many YouTubers do) or looking for "new" "original" tracks; your search parameters will be different.

When I wear my music supervisors hat I first look for well known tracks that work (or temp music that has already been supplied by the client), then start in on similar sounding music my clients can afford - there are many indie music sites where bands will let you use their material for just credit(s) and, sometimes, a small fee. As you are a hobbyist this doesn't completely apply to you, but most definitely should be kept in mind.

Have Fun, and Good Luck!!!
Yeah, I guess there isn't a shortcut to getting some good tunes, lots of listening and searching can't be avoided

Thanks!

Quote:
Wel... Im also a DJ as a hobby. If I have a event or person I try to capture the feeling of the vibe of that person in music.
Like this edit. For this person I get this funky, fun and ritmic feeling. So I look for music that captures that. Its a bit of trial and error.

For Marth Kinder I get this feeling of dreams from her performances but she also feels very grounded and adventures in how she presented herself. I slowt the music down 10% to match the feeling of her performance and how she is.

Kevin Macleod made a fun side with good stuff to work with.
https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/faq.html
Your tunes are spot on

Thanks for the link, I love Kevin Macleod music, he's doing a great job!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Sometimes I use music I produce myself. I did two songs for my addergebroed documentary.

3.37 and 8.52....
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #8
Patrik P
Basic Member

Quote:
Sometimes I use music I produce myself. I did two songs for my addergebroed documentary.

3.37 and 8.52....
That's brilliant!