Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Cameras

Old 03-01-2017, 02:46 AM   #1
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Which Camera Should I Buy?

Haha, remember when we used to get this question multiple times daily?

Seriously, though, I'm in the market. I think it'll be a few months before I purchase, but I'm starting to consider the options.

I'm going for dirt-cheap. I don't plan to use this camera for anything "serious", for lack of a better word. Basically, it's gonna be primarily used for a vlog.

Just so you know the standards I'm willing to accept, the only reason I'm in the market for a camera is because my Samsung Galaxy S7 was recently stolen. That's a smartphone. I was happy with a smartphone.

I've since replaced the phone for, you know, phone purposes. But the phone I've replaced it with has the shittiest camera.

I'm not ruling anything out. I even spent a little while tonight looking into traditional consumer camcorders, something by Sony or Canon in the $300 price-range. Nah, fuck that, I'd much prefer a used t3i or gh4. But maybe I'd be willing to consider a relatively-low-priced prosumer camcorder?

I'm tempted by the Blackmagic pocket. Have been for a while now.

I'm fairly familiar with all the technical specs and what not. I'm mostly just interested in hearing personal experiences and likes/dislikes.

Last thing -- though this isn't super-important, I'm kinda bummed that I no longer have the ability to shoot hd at 240fps. I'm sure the bit-rate was low, but still, it's pretty sweet. Anybody know of any low-cost cameras that shoot at such high frame-rates? Slo-mo is fun, and once you've had 240fps, 60 just won't cut it.
Cracker Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
alpobergman
Basic Member

Try Canon SX530 HS
alpobergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

I'd be tempted to get a GoPro if I were you. A lot of vloggers use them and you already, if I remember rightly, have a Zoom H4N to record sound. And, unlike a lot of the other classic vlogging cameras – thing like Canon G7X – it has a utility outside vlogging, and might help with some of your doc projects in the future.
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Sweetie
Basic Member

+

= Winning combo.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
HU_Nathan7
Basic Member

You should shoot your vlogs on film.
HU_Nathan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
IronFilm
Basic Member

Get yourself a Sony RX100. Nice big juicy sensor (for a compact 1" is massive!). And its compact size means you'll vblog more often with it.

Get it cheap secondhand, but the model with the flip up screen so you can do selfies. (There has been five models now)

Otherwise get a mirrorless with a flip up/out screen you can use. Panasonic G6 is a very fine FHD one that is dirt cheap. Or the Sony a5100 (but it overheats...). I own both of these by the way.
IronFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Since this thread is three months old, you've probably already figured out what you want. But, since it's been dredged back up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
Just so you know the standards I'm willing to accept, the only reason I'm in the market for a camera is because my Samsung Galaxy S7 was recently stolen. That's a smartphone. I was happy with a smartphone.

Last thing -- though this isn't super-important, I'm kinda bummed that I no longer have the ability to shoot hd at 240fps. I'm sure the bit-rate was low, but still, it's pretty sweet. Anybody know of any low-cost cameras that shoot at such high frame-rates? Slo-mo is fun, and once you've had 240fps, 60 just won't cut it.
You might consider an iPod Touch (64GB). It's basically an iPhone 6 without the phone. Add the Filmic Pro app and you'll be in great shape.

Oh, and get an iXpand so you can transfer your video files without iTunes, and can move them to PC with ease if that's your editing platform.

And if you want to improve your audio game, you can use an iRig Pro to cnnect any XLR mic... and it supplies phantom power.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
joelhall
Basic Member

Curious, what do you mean by "dirt cheap"? Seems a very subjective term. Dirt cheap to me means a 20 quid Chinese knock off on eBay.
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

My current YouTube setup is a Canon EOS-M (first version) with a Tascam DR-60 mark 2 for sound. I have "better" cameras, but the M works just fine (even better with Magic Lantern).
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Im thinking about getting a sony a7smkii but I haven't looked around yet at comparable low light cameras.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 AM   #11
Cracker Funk
Basic Member

Thank you all for your input. I ended up getting a T4i, with stock 18-55mm lens, for $400. I'm very happy with it.
Cracker Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
Thank you all for your input. I ended up getting a T4i, with stock 18-55mm lens, for $400. I'm very happy with it.
Good deal. I think it has the same sensor as the M, but the added benefit of the flip out screen. Plus, no adapter is needed to run EF lenses.
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #13
Stevie Fishman
Basic Member

You could check these three as my best choice for a 4k camcoders: Panasonic HC-VX870, the Sony FDR-AXP33 and the Canon XC10. They could capture in ultra high definition. However, you've mentioned above a Blackmagic Pocket Camera, I 've read good reviews that this camera lets you use the most incredible range of lenses and it brings full sized quality in a miniature sized package.

Last edited by Stevie Fishman; 07-23-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Stevie Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote