Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Tech Help

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Maurice
Basic - Premiere Expired

DCP Projection

What can someone tell me about getting digital film prepared for DCP projection at theater? What are the costs and specs needed. I understand the final product is projected from hard drive?
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
rajarbell
Basic Member

go to google...

Last edited by chilipie; 10-21-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Removed link.
rajarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired

There are two DCP specs, the older DCI and the newer SMPTE spec. If you are talking about screening your film at one specific cinema then your best bet is to contact that cinema and find out which of these two specs their cinema supports. The SMPTE spec is probably the easiest to comply with for indie/amateur filmmakers as it supports video speed, whereas the DCI spec is more widely used but requires film speed only (24fps). BTW, both specs require a minimum 3.0 audio mix (not 2.0 stereo), although the de facto minimum for commercial DCPs is 5.1.

There is free DCP creation software available, so in theory you can create a DCP for just the cost of a hard disk but if you don't really know what you are doing then using an authoring house would probably be the wisest option.

G
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
zenamerican
Basic Member

The final product is a disc basically - what blu ray is to DVD , DCP is to Blue Ray. The Few times I needed one it was like any other conversion. I provided the highest quality master for me these day pro res 422 HQ and the authoring entity making the DCP handled the conversion. I am a DIY person and DCP was not worth me learning. So leave it to the experts you just worry about the highest quality master. Remember - garbage in = garbage out
zenamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #5
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

That question was from 2014
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Scoopicman
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
I wouldn't mind hearing what some people are using in 2017. I have the DCP option in Adobe Premiere, but have not tried it, yet.

So, who has done it and what are you using?
Old 07-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
zenamerican
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Sorry first day on the site - just finding my way around. Your reply was a great help for the old - well I will never do that again I feel silly now

Awesome community
zenamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenamerican View Post
Sorry first day on the site - just finding my way around. Your reply was a great help for the old - well I will never do that again I feel silly now
Awesome community
No need to feel silly , I thought your post was helpful.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Hi, Zen! Welcome to the madness that is IT. Even though you replied to a 3 year old thread, you provided fresh insight, so thank you.
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenamerican View Post
The final product is a disc basically - what blu ray is to DVD , DCP is to Blue Ray.
This is not really true, especially as Blu-Ray and DVD have never been used as a mass distribution format for cinema projection, and DCP is not a format for home video distribution.

A dcp could sit on a disc in theory, but it isn't a medium like Blu-Ray or DVD. It is a file (or more accurately a 'package' of files) and is more commonly delivered on a hard drive, or digitally.

The rest of what you say is pretty accurate. There is a conversion involved, and it is better to leave it up to those who have done it before and know what they're doing to ensure consistent results.
jax_rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
PaulWrightyThen
Basic Member

To add to the old thread, I did one recently. Rendered an uncompressed version of my film. Chucked into DCPomatic, set the aspect to 'scope' and it spat out a 15gb package that played flawlessly at the cinema. I think it took about 45 mins to do a 12 minute film. Bish bash bosh. They offered to do it in house but i wanted a bash myself. I also had a .h264 as a backup on my hard drive.
PaulWrightyThen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
jj4vr
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
I wouldn't mind hearing what some people are using in 2017. I have the DCP option in Adobe Premiere, but have not tried it, yet.

So, who has done it and what are you using?
We did our latest indie film using the Premiere DCP export. Was super easy and worked right out of the box at our local theater. They had zero problems with it and the whole process was smooth.

Edit:

Forgot..one issue was the estimated file size was WAAAYYYYY off. It estimated like 1 TB of space..it ended up being about 80GB if I remember correctly.
jj4vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
PaulWrightyThen
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4vr View Post
We did our latest indie film using the Premiere DCP export. Was super easy and worked right out of the box at our local theater. They had zero problems with it and the whole process was smooth.

Edit:

Forgot..one issue was the estimated file size was WAAAYYYYY off. It estimated like 1 TB of space..it ended up being about 80GB if I remember correctly.
I used that for a test. Everyone swore me away from Wraptor though...
PaulWrightyThen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
Basic Member

Hello, everyone. Could I ask a question about DCP? For instance, Sundance film festival accept 1920*1080 files . But the aspect ratio is 1.78:1. The aspect ratio of cinema are 1.85:1 and 2.40:1. Can DCP make 1920*1080 mp4 file be broadcast on the silverscreen in qualified aspect ratio? Thank you for your answer.
550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
joelhall
Basic Member

Sundance do accept DCP in cinema aspect, but require a Bluray or ProRes backup sent as well. At least that was my understanding.
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote