Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #16
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 328
Quote:
...I wanted to sell it and with the money to translate the new 115 pages screenplay I wrote.
Are you saying you wrote the new screenplay in Greek & you need money to translate it?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
Are you saying you wrote the new screenplay in Greek & you need money to translate it?
Yes, my english is not fluent.
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
buscando
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: L.A.
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos View Post
Yes, my english is not fluent.
It's good that you know you need a translator. How much will it cost to translate your script?
Are you sure you don't want to just film it in Greek over there?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 AM   #19
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
It's good that you know you need a translator. How much will it cost to translate your script?
Are you sure you don't want to just film it in Greek over there?
I guess I need about 400 - 800 Euros. My screenplays are big... they are not for Greece, they are only for Hollywood.
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,181
I am curious.

You say your scripts are only for Hollywood yet you say your scripts
are not “Hollywood” plot format – that you don't follow the standard
steps Hollywood follows.

Why do you do this? If you are writing only for Hollywood why do you
not follow the standard steps Hollywood follows?

On the other side of this; your script that does not follow Hollywood
plot format just won the Grand Prize in a Hollywood screenplay contest.
Perhaps that means that some people say it can't succeed in USA but
others say it can. Not all who say it can't succeed are correct.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
I only wrote two scripts, the winning short, which is not in Hollywood format and another one which IS in Hollywood format.

After I sent the short for reviews and to 10 contests, I started study deeply the Hollywood format before I started another
script, and that's because everyone was telling me that there is no future in Hollywood for a screenwriter if their scripts are
not in Hollywood format. Every single movie in Hollywood is in this format. Actually, I never found anyone saying that
someone could sell any script in Hollywood that doesn't follow the Hollywood format.

The fact that Hollywood itself gave me the grand prize is a bit "strange". Maybe, because there is no money in the prize,
they are more loose in their judging and they just look the story, and the story in that script is really nice and has a huge
surprise at the end.

Now, in the second script I have, and in all the next scripts I'll write, I'll follow the Hollywood format.
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #22
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 1,280
This just goes to show you that screenplay contests are just about worthless. Obviously no producers, agents or production companies are paying any attention to these contests. Let us know if anything comes of it.

BTW I listed my script on inktip and only one no-name company (that I've never heard of) viewed my synopsis and script. I can't help but wonder if the so-called company that downloaded my script was just a shill working for InkTip. Only 5 people viewed my logline. Conclusion: InkTip is a ghost town.
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #23
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
This is what I believe! The good thing maybe is that you can mention the price when you send it to someone to make it a movie. I send it to a director who got oscar for his short movie before some years and he accepted to make it a movie. We'll see.
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #24
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos View Post
I send it to a director who got oscar for his short movie before some years and he accepted to make it a movie.
That's great! So your script is going to be made by an Oscar
winning director! Do you think he would have looked at your
script if it hadn't won this award?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #25
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator
 
sfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos View Post
I only wrote two scripts, the winning short, which is not in Hollywood format and another one which IS in Hollywood format.

After I sent the short for reviews and to 10 contests, I started study deeply the Hollywood format before I started another
script, and that's because everyone was telling me that there is no future in Hollywood for a screenwriter if their scripts are
not in Hollywood format. Every single movie in Hollywood is in this format. Actually, I never found anyone saying that
someone could sell any script in Hollywood that doesn't follow the Hollywood format.

The fact that Hollywood itself gave me the grand prize is a bit "strange". Maybe, because there is no money in the prize,
they are more loose in their judging and they just look the story, and the story in that script is really nice and has a huge
surprise at the end.

Now, in the second script I have, and in all the next scripts I'll write, I'll follow the Hollywood format.
Hollywood itself ...

Did you win the prize from harvey weinstein?
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by directorik View Post
That's great! So your script is going to be made by an Oscar
winning director! Do you think he would have looked at your
script if it hadn't won this award?
It's not sure yet if he will do it, I think no he wouldn't read a random script just because he asked for. I guess he has many people ask him for that.
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Hollywood itself ...

Did you win the prize from harvey weinstein?
I'm not sure about that.
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #28
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,181
So winning that contest opened a door. That's a good thing, isn't it?

I understand that you hoped winning would launch your career as a writer
instantly, but a career as a writer is a long road. The door is open a little,
YOU need to prove you can write "Hollywood" screenplays. A short is a nice
place to start. I hope you have several features written and ready to go.
Since you clearly have what it takes next should be entering a feature length
screenplay.

I'm glad it turns out that entering this contest opened a door to you.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #29
Panos
Basic Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greece
Posts: 111
Thank you Actually, I really don't care about career or however we could name it. Just writting a screenplay, get paid, winning my oscars :p and then write the next. Also, for sure I didn't hope this price for a short script to launch my career as a writer instantly LOL!
Panos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #30
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos View Post
Just writting a screenplay, get paid, winning my oscars :p and then write the next.
Here in the States writing a screenplay, getting paid, winning an Oscar and
writing the next is called a career. What do you call writing screenplays and
getting paid for it in Greece?
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
format, hollywood, screenplay, short, winner


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk