Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Cameras

Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #16
IronFilm
Basic Member

Your microphones and boom pole are total utter sh*t. Don't bother throwing your money down the drain.

At least get an Oktava + Aputure Deity.

Don't forget wind protection as well (blimp + Rode WS6).
Also get a couple of sets of secondhand Sony UWP-D11 kits for wireless (they're better than the older Sennheiser G3 wireless).

The Tascam DR70D is truly amazingly crazy good value. But give seriea thought to a Zoom F4 instead which is a vastly more powerful machine. (I speak from personal experience, having shot feature films with both).

I'd also not bother at all with that drone, the only thing it has going for it is extreme portability. Either get a Phantom 4 Pro (with its 1" sensor!), or don't bother with getting a drone at all (which could be a smart idea too...).
IronFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 06-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
IronFilm
Basic Member

With the benefit of hindsight, if I was to start from scratch with $7K then I would put the bulk of that money into lighting and audio gear, with only a minimal amount into camera equipment.

Why?

Because it takes a long time to build up your skills, & even more importantly, build up your professional network of connections.

And camera gear depreciates the fastest of them all.

Yet if you're an indie gaffer or soundie with your own gear, then you'll find yourself a very popular person on indie film shoots (as those are often two quite high demand areas, relatively speaking, for film crews). Which thus will go a very long way to both building up your on set experience *and* the reach and range of your professional network.

So go for the Zoom F4 (+ 2x BP-U30 batteries to power it, at least that is what I'm doing with mine) + Aputure Deity (the kit version) + Oktava HC + 3 Sony UWP-D11 + 3 OST lavs + carbon fibre boom pole (ideally two) + 2 Tentacle Syncs + TX belts + blimp + tape & other accessories etc

For lighting, 4x redheads + 2x blondes + 1x Aputure 300D + 1x Aputure 120D + 3 Aputure LS-C20 + 6 Aputure M9 + 2 11 LED panels + 3x combo stands + 6x C stands + 24 sand bags + 8x V mount batteries (more would be nice! But I'm hopeless trying to work to a "budget" here...) + heaps of cutters / floppies / scrims / modifiers / various random accessories etc etc

If you have any budget left over (errrr... no, I've gone waaaay over! Evenn though I tried hard to only draft up a small collection, & only pick super budget items) then a Panasonic G80 + RJ Lens Turbo (for Nikon to MFT mount) + Tamron 16-50mm f2.8 + Nikon 50mm f1.8D + Sirui video monopod + spare batteries & SD cards, would then be plenty overkill for your camera needs at this stage of your life.

And I'd much rather make a feature film with this mix of gear too, as we'd have excellent sound and lighting for our budget.

Last edited by IronFilm; 06-12-2017 at 11:14 AM.
IronFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #18
joelhall
Basic Member

If I have 7 grand:

Get a cheaper body, better lenses and filters, better sound recording equipment and invest in lighting and gels, and a decent tripod and rig.

Cameras are one of those things I think people should look to upgrade after they've learned the craft, but sound and lighting shouldn't be scrimped on.

Try going for a Sound Devices recorder, get a decent sound tech to recommend the mics, invest in some awesome glass, and get at the least a Sachtler fluid head tripod.

Then find a body which fits within the budget of whatever is left over. Camera bodies are updated all the time, and quickly go out of date. Decent equipment can outlast even the most expensive bodies.
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
joelhall
Basic Member

Having said all that, if I had 7 grand now, I'd pretty much be spending it on lenses and filters.
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote