Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #46
pedramyz
Basic Member

Quote:
Ok so what? Why you say that? What is your deeper point?
There is no deeper point. That's it.
Quote:
I can say that my opinion is the opposite of yours. I believe that from an objective point of view,
there is nothing wrong with personal opinions as long as they don't contradict common sense. You can't say objectively a movie can remain a masterpiece forever, that just isn't realistic. It's like saying you say 2+2 =4 but my personal opinion differs from you, so I say 2+2=5! you can say personally a movie can remain a masterpiece forever, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by pedramyz; 10-18-2018 at 08:14 PM.
pedramyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #47
Panos
Basic Member

I say:
I can say that my opinion is the opposite of yours. I believe that from an objective point of view, a movie can remain a masterpiece forever. Everything else is personal opinion.

And then you say:
Nothing wrong with that, your personal opinion differs from mine.It's ok. But that's it. You can't say objectively a movie can remain a masterpiece forever, that just isn't realistic. It's like saying you say 2+2 =4 but my personal opinion differs from you, so I say 2+2=5! you can say personally a movie can remain a masterpiece forever, and there is nothing wrong with that.

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...UTYGdYsSg.jpeg

Last edited by Panos; 10-18-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #48
pedramyz
Basic Member

[QUOTE=Panos;440096]I say:
I can say that my opinion is the opposite of yours. I believe that from an objective point of view, a movie can remain a masterpiece forever. Everything else is personal opinion.

And then you say:
Nothing wrong with that, your personal opinion differs from mine.It's ok. But that's it. You can't say objectively a movie can remain a masterpiece forever, that just isn't realistic. It's like saying you say 2+2 =4 but my personal opinion differs from you, so I say 2+2=5! you can say personally a movie can remain a masterpiece forever, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Yes, You Just mentioned some directing flaws in classic movies, How can a movie with flaws remain OBJECTIVELY perfect forever? They can PERSONALLY remain as your perfect movie but they can't remain perfect objectively. It's like saying there isn't and won't be a better person in the world than gandi! Or saying that philps is and will be the best swimmer in the world! Or saying there won't ever be a faster car than bugatti! There will always be someone or something better. History has taught us that. It's just common sense. Having personal opinion is fine as long as it doesn't refute common sense. That's why I made the mathematical example.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #49
Panos
Basic Member

In the same sentence you say: "Nothing wrong with that, your personal opinion differs from mine." and then you continue:"You can't say objectively a movie can remain a masterpiece forever..." which is exactly what I said and you agreed, at least at the first part of the sentence!!

Also who said anything about perfect movies?? A masterpiece is not a perfect movie!! And who said that Gandhi was a good person? And who is philps?

You are very passionate to having right always and you do sophistry. You confuse your thoughts and you do opinion shifting even in the same sentence.

I'm done with that topic, we just disagree.

By the way the movie "2+2=5" is a masterpiece.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #50
pedramyz
Basic Member

Quote:
In the same sentence you say: "Nothing wrong with that, your personal opinion differs from mine." and then you continue:"You can't say objectively a movie can remain a masterpiece forever..." which is exactly what I said and you agreed, at least at the first part of the sentence!!
I meant nothing is wrong with having personal opinions. That's my bad sorry. I should have more detailedly explained that. Yes now that I read the sentence it is contradictory, my english is not perfect you know? Here, I will rephrase that post.

Quote:
Also who said anything about perfect movies?? A masterpiece is not a perfect movie!! And who said that Gandhi was a good person? And who is philps?

You are very passionate to having right always and you do sophistry. You confuse your thoughts and you do opinion shifting even in the same sentence.

You are arguing with me that gandi wasn't a good person, and you are accusing me of sophistry?! Fine you don't think gandi is a good person. Bugatti is currently the fastest car ( to my knowledge) do you believe there won't ever be a faster car? When you are saying objectively no movie can be better than this one, it means technically ( without the influence of emotions) no other movie can be better than this one. and that's wrong, because technically there are movies and will be movies out there which have done a better directing ( for example) than this movie. as you mentioned the close up example, those movies didn't have a close up in important revealings, so that's a flaw. any movie which has done that ( close ups) have done a better job at least in the close up department. Or for example you say that a movie had a bad sound quality, so other movies that have a good sound quality are better than this movie in sound department. This is an example of OBJECTIVE ( technical) point of view. A personal point of view is based on your taste and there is nothing wrong with that as long as it doesn't refute common sense. For example say a movie (movie number1) has a really bad sound quality, and there is another movie ( movie number 2) with a good sound quality, you can say although the first movie had a shitty sound quality I liked it better. You can even say I like bad sound quality for whatever reason. Tha's ok cause it's your personal opinion. But you can't say movie number 1 has better sound quality than movie number 2!That is not a fact. That is not a common sense. That's why you can't say it is my personal opinion that movie number 1 has better sound quality. That's why you can't say it's my personal opinion that objectively this movie will be the best movie ever. I can't explain it any clearer than this. I hope you got it.

Last edited by pedramyz; 10-18-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #51
Panos
Basic Member

It's rather funny how you keep assuming that "masterpiece" means "better". Or that I said that Citizen Kane will keep being the best movie in the future, which I never said.

You are doing strong sophistry, but you know... I'm Greek.. "I" invented sophistry. So, lets have some more fun here.

Today doctors know an ocean more things about medicine than what Hippocrates knew. But Hippocrates will always be the best because there were literally no medicine back then. He was a wrestler and he literally by accident invented tricks to heal his wounds with specific plants. Today people go to university to learn medicine and become doctors! So Hippocrates will always be better.

Last edited by Panos; 10-19-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #52
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

is it still a masterpiece after humans are extinct and the surviving aliens can't appreciate or relate to the art??

Spoiler: Who cares ;p
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #53
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
is it still a masterpiece after humans are extinct and the surviving aliens can't appreciate or relate to the art??

Spoiler: Who cares ;p
I bet the would appreciate this....

Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote