mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-03-2018, 07:10 AM   #3017
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

The Circle. (On Amazon Prime) 7/10.

Quite possibly the scariest film ever made.

The Ritual. (Netflix Original) 7/10

Pretty good monster flick, really. The plot isn't great, but serves well enough for what it is. But the monster is done surprisingly well, like pretty damn well…like, as if for a film with a much larger budget. Impressive. You shouldn't have to feel like, oh, that's a cheap, unbelievable CGI monster. Instead, they achieve the opposite of that.

Kong: Skull Island. 7/10.

Not as bad as I suspected it would be. Pretty decent. But what is their explanation for why Kong stands and walks like a human, anyway? No big. I have to say John C. Reilly steals the show.

Life. 7/10.

Finally. I love this sort of scifi. But…kinda meh. Hey glad when they make these, don't get me wrong. But some annoyances with characters making stupid or inconsistent choices etc.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. 5/10.

I read some essay purporting to explain why it did poorly at the box office. It suggested the usual sort of things, including what's become the usual and seemingly obligatory PC agenda rubbish, some of which may be so. But they forgot to mention the primary reason: it's just not very good. I'm sad to say it because I love sword and sorcery, at least when done well. But bringing the thug/street to the Arthurian legend just didn't work, at least not for me, and I'm guessing not for many. I can imagine it seemed cool to some in concept. Unfortunately, the outcome was not so good. :/

The Wailing. (It's on Netflix). 8/10

Quite good. I think more-or-less a long, slow burn kind of movie. Seemed to me like an interesting slice of life sort of movie as well as a thriller and a horror. Spoiler: Twisty.

Nightworld (On Netflix)(Gravitas Ventures, but don't let that put you off, lol). 7/10

Looking for a half-decent supernatural thriller? This should do okay.

Mune (On Netflix, btw) 6/10

The story is quite childish, sure, and without a lot of substance. But art and animation are lovely.

Temple. (On Netflix). 6/10.

Not so bad of a thriller. Worth watching, I think, if you're in the mood. Just keep your expectations fairly low.

Spa Night. (On Netflix) 8/10.

A rather sad slice of life film, but well worth spending time with, I think, if it's your cup of tea. The production quality is top notch, really. Impressive to me in that way, for what must be such a small, independent film that would no doubt only appeal to or find a relatively small audience.

IT. 7/10

Not so bad. Monster is done quite well.

Last edited by richy; 03-03-2018 at 07:25 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #3018
The Tune Peddler
Premiere Member

Blade Runner 2049: 9/10

I'm a big Denis Villeneuve fan, but I was bummed out after having heard Johann Johannsson (my favorite current film composer) was replaced by Hans Zimmer. However, when I finally watched the film I thought it was incredible and really dug the score.
The Tune Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #3019
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I, Tonya and "Disaster Artist were both quite enjoyable.

Disaster Artist wasn't as good as Living in Oblivion, which remains my favorite film about making a film.

Shape of water was great too.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #3020
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

The Expanse: Season 2. 9/10

Pretty darn good. Going through withdrawal with no more seasons or episodes available to me. xD
Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #3021
cracken
Basic Member

Suburbicon; just God awful. How this was billed as a dark comedy vexed me. Dark, yes. Funny, no. It had a couple of shock value moments that I am sure were ment to be funny. The sub-plot with the neighbors was pointless. Clooney and Damon need to say goodbye to each other. An all around waste of two hours.
cracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #3022
WalterB
Basic Member

The Last Jedi.
I loved it. It took some unexpected turns.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #3023
eomer41
Basic Member

Lady Bird. My initial reaction is that it's a movie that plays like a graphic novel. Perhaps it would of been more interesting if read in a magazine with photos.

6/10
eomer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #3024
amos
Basic Member

Black Panther. 9/10.
amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #3025
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

The Discovery

Premise get's high marks: 8/10.
Execution: 5/10.
Ending: 4/10.

Side plot and "brother" character felt bolted on.
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #3026
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer41 View Post
Lady Bird. My initial reaction is that it's a movie that plays like a graphic novel. Perhaps it would of been more interesting if read in a magazine with photos.
Interesting idea, I can picture that.
Maybe it's also like old foreign films that focus more on character instead of plot.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #3027
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

The Secret Scripture.

Obviously not as good as the book but was well done. It's always a challenge to fit a book with so many things happening into a 2hr movie.

Acting was good.

I recommend the book.
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #3028
Quality
Basic Member

Annihilation - This one surprised me with its stunning visuals and confusing story. I definitely recommend it. 9/10
Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #3029
SupaRubes
Basic Member

The Looking Glass starring Nic Cage. Decent slow build setup but no real payoff. There's a good film in there somewhere. I'd give it a 5/10
SupaRubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #3030
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

The Ballad of Lefty Brown. 9/10

This is a good western in a similar vein as Open Range and others. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to those who like westerns. This is a good one. (Available on Amazon Prime).

Passengers. 9/10

I was really looking forward to this and wanted it to be great. Well it is good. But...damn, Spoiler: the love story does have at its heart an act of evil, or at least of serious selfishness. You can make the argument it's a good thing he woke her, or someone, because otherwise the ship and all it's passengers would have been destroyed, otherwise, as it turned out. But of course that doesn't justify his action. I mean, understand, I guess as she comes to, the psychological factors of his isolation, etc. So, my point is there will always be something rotten at the heart of the love story. Well, I was cold to The English Patient initially, as well, but naturally I came to think of it as wonderful. Still, not the same. Otherwise I suppose I'd give it a 10.