Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Tech Help

Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Jack08
Basic Member

Large Project won't play- Help!

Hello, so I am in a very unique situation and need some help.

I am editing a large project on an older version of Final Cut Pro (6). I know, I know, I should upgrade. I made sure to convert all my video files to Apple ProRes 422. Everything was going great until one day after turning off my old mac for a few days, I opened up my project and found that it could no longer play my project. Everything feels extremely laggy, and it only plays for a few seconds before dropping frames.

I don't know what changed in that time. I know I'm stressing my system somewhat with how much video I'm working with, but I was editing just fine for a long time. So I know my computer is capable of handling this much video; I think there is a setting that I must have wrong somewhere.

All my footage is stored on a 7.28TB Lacie hard drive. So is my project file and scratch disks (I hope that's all right?)
There are currently 888 gigabytes free on this external lacie drive. I don't think this is the issue because I remember this number going down to around 750 gigs free, and the project slowed down a bit but still played fine. I agree I could be wrong on this though.

My computer is an old mac (can get you the specific specs if you need it)

My footage is 23.98 fps
1920 x 1080
13.6mb/sec data rate

My sequence settings are also using prores 422 as the compressor.

For system settings, my RT setting is on safe. My video quality setting is on low.

My Final Cut project file is 11 mbs.

I have tried trashing preferences, and it now gives me a message saying "One or more frames was dropped during playback. It gives me some ideas on how to fix, like lowering compression data rate. Also in red, it tells me that RT Extreme has determined these dropped frames were caused by slow disks. I can elaborate here if needed.

Let me know what else I can share that would help. I would super appreciate any ideas on what's causing this huge change, whereas for weeks I was playing and editing with this large project just fine.
Jack08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 11-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Are you using FireWire 400, or 800?

How many sequences do you have open in the project? FCP versions before FCPX could slow down drastically if too many sequences were open at one time.

Try deleting all the render files (can be done from within FCP) and re-rendering the entire timeline in one pass. That opens up space on the drive and simplifies playback.

The drive shouldn’t pass 80% capacity or it can slow down.

Also try moving the project file to the desktop and launching from there. The media drive should be for media, not for anything else.

There’s also a chance the drive could be failing. I’ve had LaCie drives go bad on me before. That’s kind of a worst case scenario, but it’s in the realm of possibility. I’d back up the project media to another drive if possible.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Jack08
Basic Member

Thank you so much for your reply, AcousticAl!

It says firewire 800 on the drive.

I have only one sequence open in the project.

I am definitely going to try deleting all the render files and re-rendering. That's a great idea!

I will clear more space on the Lacie drive.

I will also try moving the project file to the desktop and launching from there.

Hopefully the drive isn't failing! Will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack08 View Post
It says firewire 800 on the drive.
Okay... so are you connecting to the Mac with FW800, or did you have to adapt it to FW400? This is kind of important to know.

Quote:
I have only one sequence open in the project.
Just out of curiosity... how big a sequence? Is your entire project in a single sequence? If so, what’s the run time? 11MB is actually on the larger side for a FCP project file. If you’re dealing with a feature, it’s actually helpful to work in reels, about 15-20 minutes each.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
Jack08
Basic Member

Good questions! I am connecting straight from the external drive to the mac, so I assume there is no adapting to 400.

With the sequence size, I have to come clean that I've been making it way too long. The overall video is currently about 58 minutes, but I performed my horrible habit of keeping many clips of raw footage toward the end of my timeline in case I need to grab them quickly. I will never do this again, as I see now that it could easily have contributed to my trouble. I will work with it in 15-20 min chunks for now on.

For deleting my render files within FCP and re-rendering, is there a specific guide or way I should do this? Is it just Tools>Render Manager: Clicking remove on both audio and video? I want to make sure I do this right.

Last edited by Jack08; 11-05-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Jack08
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
Okay... so are you connecting to the Mac with FW800, or did you have to adapt it to FW400? This is kind of important to know.

Just out of curiosity... how big a sequence? Is your entire project in a single sequence? If so, what’s the run time? 11MB is actually on the larger side for a FCP project file. If you’re dealing with a feature, it’s actually helpful to work in reels, about 15-20 minutes each.
Update: I tried to clear more space on my LaCie hard drive, but I got error code 36 (could not be completed). I then tried repairing my LaCie drive with Disk Utility, but unfortunately got the message saying that my LaCie drive could not be repaired! Now my LaCie drive is unmounted. The data report says:

Now what should I do?

Edit: I've contacted LaCie support. Man I hope our warranty is still active....

Last edited by Jack08; 11-06-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Sounds like a drive failure to me. You did back up all your footage to a backup drive, right?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Jack08
Basic Member

Quote:
Sounds like a drive failure to me. You did back up all your footage to a backup drive, right?
Thankfully I did, but there was still lots of other things on the 7tb hard drive that I just didn't have the space to back up anywhere else. I really hope I can somehow magically get this sorted out by getting it repaired through their support, or maybe Disk Warrior.

Now the drive will mount after a long time of waiting for it, but the icon has changed. It says I have 1.2 tbs out of 7.28 tbs available, so maybe that's an okay sign.... I'm not sure what's going to happen

Sigh, it's quite a huge hassle as I try to create this documentary for my client.

But thanks again Acoustic for your advice! I'll keep you updated.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Thankfully I did, but there was still lots of other things on the 7tb hard drive that I just didn't have the space to back up anywhere else.

Sigh, it's quite a huge hassle as I try to create this documentary for my client.
USB drives are dirt cheap, and great for keeping backup copies of all your extras (graphics files, sound files, etc.). They’re also good for keeping backups of footage. If I were you, I’d get one first thing in the morning (grab a G-tech from your local Apple Store) and back up the extra stuff while the drive is still agreeing to mount.

For future projects, always make sure that you have full backups of everything needed for the project. RAID is also a great option for keeping failsafes on hand.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
Jack08
Basic Member

Quote:
USB drives are dirt cheap, and great for keeping backup copies of all your extras (graphics files, sound files, etc.). They’re also good for keeping backups of footage. If I were you, I’d get one first thing in the morning (grab a G-tech from your local Apple Store) and back up the extra stuff while the drive is still agreeing to mount.

For future projects, always make sure that you have full backups of everything needed for the project. RAID is also a great option for keeping failsafes on hand.
That makes sense! I'll look into that. Thank you!