Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Acting

Old 09-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
Nope - never look directly at the camera.
Not unless it's taco tuesday

sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

A few acting classes should be taken by almost everyone - yes, I mean both production and post crews as well as actors - involved in film and video. My specialty is audio post, but I went to a few acting seminars to improve my skills, most especially Foley, but I found it also helped my dialog editing as well.

You may want to attend an acting school, but interacting (pun semi-unintended) with other actors is most definitely a plus for any performer.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #18
El Director
Basic Member

When I work with inexperienced actors, I teach them "The Blink". If they're facing one direction and then turn to the other and would look into the camera, they blink just before they make eye contact with it. Sounds corny, but it works.
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
gorillaking
Basic Member

If you are able to and if you get in go to one of the top schools worldwide:

London: Guildhall, LAMDA, RADA, Central, etc.
America: Julliard, NYU Tisch, Yale, etc.

If you can't afford those, there are good acting studios as well that you can go to:
William Esper Studio (NYC) (wrote 2 great books as well)
Stella Adler Studio
Terry Knickerbocker Studio

William Esper and Terry Knickerbocker trained Sam Rockwell among many others. The Esper Studio has a really good reputation just overall. Another really significant graduate of the Esper Studio (under David Newer) is John Leguizamo.

They teach the Meisner Technique. The big schools I think teach a mix of various techniques.

However, in the end, you should know that even if you go to a top school it can always happen that you don't get selected at the showcase, you're in debt and will have to hustle just like everybody else. In the end people care the most about your experience rather than your training. Training helps get your foot in the door though.

If you plan on studying in London, I think it is wiser to stay in London since the schools are such household names there. If you think you'll study there and go back to let's say New York.. you will still stand out but I know many actors who even went to Julliard or one of the big schools in London and are now struggling to get representation just like everybody else. BUT you will stand out for that for sure.

If you can afford it, totally worth it.

I definitely say get training somewhere, do improv (UCB, The Pit, etc. in New York) and get your feet wet. Copy and imitate, listen to interviews, read books and work on your voice, diction and body. Relaxation is key.

Work with other actors who trained / have a great process and learn from them. How do you find these people? I do not know really. Book work. But that's the conundrum. You gotta have worked to book work, etc. etc.

So submit submit submit.

That being said.. there are PLENTY of actors who NEVER EVER trained and are really good. It can be and most likely is a mix of things: work ethic, talent, openness to learning, LUCK (= where preparation meets opportunity) and learning by doing. Watching others work.

"Good Artists copy. Great artists steal." - Picasso
"There is nothing new under the sun." from the Book of Ecclesiastes
=== everything is a remix. Don't feel bad about about seeing something and getting inspired by it and taking elements of it. Everybody does it.

If you're in the US, sign up for Backstage, ActorsAccess and CastingNetworks. Backstage is where a lot of stuff is casting all the time, especially smaller projects.

ActorsAccess is the place where many many big legit projects are cast as well as other smaller projects. YOU as the actor will only see the breakdowns for the smaller stuff, maybe occasionally a public breakdown for a very specific project. The agents and managers have access to the BIG LEGIT stuff.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

EDIT:
This may help https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...schools-895029

Last edited by gorillaking; 01-02-2019 at 02:49 PM.
gorillaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
B4H
Basic Member

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaking View Post
If you are able to and if you get in go to one of the top schools worldwide:

EDIT:
This may help https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...schools-895029
this is some really valuable information, thanks a lot.
i'm really wondering if i should try for smaller schools first, then make my way up, because i have zero confidence if i could make it, but i'm not sure how does it happen, should i ask to be in a short film even though i never acted before?
B4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #21
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4H View Post
this is some really valuable information, thanks a lot.
i'm really wondering if i should try for smaller schools first, then make my way up, because i have zero confidence if i could make it, but i'm not sure how does it happen, should i ask to be in a short film even though i never acted before?
The way it happens is a director will put out a casting notice.
Actors will respond and an audition will be scheduled.
The actors will audition for the part and the director will chose.

Many directors - especially ones just starting out - will choose
actors with no experience.

So you should look for local filmmakers who need actors and
ask them for a part even though you have never acted before.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
Layne
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4H View Post
I need some advice on how to start learning to become an actor on my own before trying out and embarrass myself
Some Community colleges offer drama classes. When I was an actor, this how I got my start. It was invaluable. Not only will you have a structured class with an opportunity to learn the craft, but you'll meet a lot of actors who may be willing to share information. Some may be willing to share audition sources (don't hold your breath though) . Even if you don't want to do any theater, you'll be onsite for theater auditions and know in advance before the outside world does, and this is a way to get audition practice (and yes, as an actor, you need to practice auditioning.) for the shows the school may put on. I would strongly encourage you to give theater a try. You'll get to do more acting more frequently in Theater than in film. The more you do something, the better you get at it. Theater shows rehearse several days a week, unlike film,, which means you get to act several days a week, then the show runs several weeks, more acting. This will allow you to grow quicker as an actor, network and improve.

Everyone was a beginner at one point. Don't let that bother you. If you take a class, you'll most likely have someone in your class that has no experience if you go this route.
And when you're not working on a film or production, take a class. You're never too good for a class. What do Professional athletes do in between games? Practice. Off season? they work out and practice. Tthey are constantly practicing. Acting is the same. If you're not in a class, you should be looking for auditions, working on monologues, networking, etc. There is always something to be doing.
Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #23
peteraonfilm
Basic Member

Try doing extra work so you can see what it's like on a busy set. You can basically start light and do a drama course, for beginners. That way, you will make friends with people in the same boat. And it makes going to subsequent auditions less stressful. Although it's hard, as so many people sign up.
peteraonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote