This is beyond trolling.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
harmonica44
Basic Member

Yes, I realized Al told me that I don't need actors to make a short, but how come when I posted a short on here before, without actors, people on here told me that it didn't count as a short film? Why? Why were they going against what Al said, if that's the case?
harmonica44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You have been here 6 years you know the difference between random shots and a story!

If you continue to troll your posts will be locked and you risk your membership here.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #19
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay then, I see. Sorry. I have some short film scripts now. I will try to pick the best one and see if I can get a couple of actors in time to make it before a deadline for submitting for the enrollment. I'll see about writing a script that can be narrated with minimal production audio as well.

Last edited by harmonica44; 01-05-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You shouldn't get caught up in semantics either. If YOU say it's a short film, and another person says it's a camera test, defend it, and tell them it's a short film! Only you know the answer to it. Was it really a camera test or shot test, or did you make an experimental film?

Al told you how to tell a story reading a poem. That is NOT a random shot clip, and you already know the difference.

I didn't want to have to type that, as that is exactly the type of time wasting I am talking about. People tell you things and you don't listen and everyone ends up repeating themselves or posting detailed things you already know, or never apply.

Please stop wasting people's time.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #21
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay then. I will see about doing one of the scripts I have now. Right now I have two, and might do the shorter one. Do you think I should ask for other people's opinions to see if they are good, or should I just shoot one, regardless of story quality?

If I cannot get a PSM, I could do ADR maybe, or I could rewrite it so it can be narrated, as long as it doesn't come off as too cheesy. I already have the script ready to go, and I am not good at poetry at all, but perhaps I could use the same method, and tell the story through narration.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #22
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica44 View Post
I will see about doing one of the scripts I have now. Right now I have two, and might do the shorter one. Do you think I should ask for other people's opinions to see if they are good, or should I just shoot one, regardless of story quality?
No, you should not ask opinions. Because that is ALL you seem to be able to do, with no resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Al told you how to tell a story reading a poem. That is NOT a random shot clip, and you already know the difference.
Since you need it spelled out for you, Ryan:

Narrated poem + visuals + sound design. No actors.

Got it?

AcousticAl out.

Last edited by AcousticAl; 01-05-2017 at 03:44 PM.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
harmonica44
Basic Member

Okay thanks. I didn't think that was really a story though cause the narrator is just describing what the plants are doing, but it's not an actual story with actual themes, to explore.

But if I can just describe the activity of whatever objects are in the camera, and that can count as a story, then I can do that.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Hey Al you tried!

You can lead a horse to water, and even dunk his head in it, but sometimes he just won't drink!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
harmonica44
Basic Member

Sorry. I will try to write a poem without characters, and try to put myself in a non character driven story.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Or there's public domain poems/stories that you can narrate and use visuals to tell a more modern story or your interpretation of the poem or story, from horror and macabre, to humor. No actors, 1 actor, sound, music, no dialog, whatever!

He posted an example. The fact you take that so literary and think that is the ONLY example, and that a poem that tells a story can't be used instead of the one you said is not a story, boggles the mind though. These are the types of responses that waste people's time.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #27
El Director
Basic Member

One of my first real short films didn't have script. I was reading a book and it started off with saying, "if you want to make movies, make movies. Put the book down and go film something right now. If you have this, make a movie about it. If you have a cat, make a movie about your cat. Come back when you're done."

So I did just that. I put the book down, grabbed my MiniDV camera and started following my cat around our house. After a few hours chasing her around, I edited the movie in Windows Movie Maker. Did it win any awards? No. But that wasn't the point of the exercise. The point was to get me off my butt and start making movies. I give you the same challenge right now: Go make a movie about anything. If all you have is a toy car on your desk, make a movie about that. Don't worry about a script, lighting, sound or if your camera is good enough. You're not there yet.

I'm in the middle of learning how to start an online business. Something that was brought to my attention by Noah Keagan is that you have entrepreneurs, and wantrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs start business. wantrepeneurs "play" business. They spend all their time on logos, names, paperwork, filling for an LLC etc without ever actually starting the business.

So the question is, do you actually want to be a filmmaker, or just play at being a filmmaker? Filmmakers make films. Don't worry if it's perfect, it's not time for you to change the world with your masterpiece yet. But eventually, who knows?

If you're interested, here's that little short I made because the book told me to:
Salem's Big Day ~2003

Last edited by El Director; 01-05-2017 at 06:27 PM.
El Director is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #28
WalterB
Basic Member

H44, you are clearly no poet, just like you are no trouble shooter. I bet most even doubt your creative abilities. I think you have creative abilities, but you use them to phantom problems and create excuses.

Why did we say your no character short was just a random collection of shots?
Because there is no theme. You did not even bother to try to edit it differently to make it have a 'story'.

You are clearly no poet.
"I didn't think that was really a story though cause the narrator is just describing what the plants are doing, but it's not an actual story with actual themes, to explore."
You totally missed Al's point of narrated poetry as a great exercise for your visual skills. (And a way to bypass your casting problem.)
That video is not a narrator describing what plants are doing. It is visuallizing what the narrator is telling. This totally explains why you couldn't make a mood video as I suggested years ago: you don't understand or feel poetry. You still didn't watch Koyaanisqatsi I guess?
Ever read Les Fleur du Mal by Baudelaire?
Never wrote a poem as a teenager?
You only think in 'logical' actions and legal constructions, but you lack emotion and poetry.
Ever experienced the Sublime and the Beautiful?
Ever looked at Romantic paintings?*
Ever wondered what sets 'cinema' apart from soap operas? (No, it's not the number of pages.)
Ever compaired the 3 different Wallander series to see how the different approaches work on an emotional level?
Ever watched falling stars in a night so dark you can see the whole of the milky way?
Ever stopped by the road to get out and watch the sky on fire during sunset?
Ever watched the tiny drops in a spider's web, just to look at the beauty of it?
Ever been to a live show where the band played such beautiful music it made you cry?

Go ahead, do apply and wait for the letter that thanks you for your effort.
Mara is right: if you are serious about applying a new short should be on top of your list. If you can't make that deadline you should ask yourself whether or not your are ready for filmschool.
Indietalk is also right: you don't understand 'concept', you only understand 'literal' and that explains all those 'rules' all those 'plotholes' you dig yourself in and all the excuses you create.
I will use my time in a better more productive way: 2017 will be a great year.

*)
this classic by Caspar David Friedrich for example:

Last edited by WalterB; 01-05-2017 at 09:15 PM.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #29
theconnorwilliams
Basic Member

Just in case I was wrong it doesn't help so Ive deleted everything..

Last edited by theconnorwilliams; 01-05-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: to harsh? making assumptions? Not my place
theconnorwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #30
WalterB
Basic Member

Connor, I applaude your kind approach.
After 5 questions I figured out H44 is not the average person and I think many people have been very patient for the next 2,000(? statistics only show the 500 most resent threads) questions. Everytime he has a problem and someone offers a simple solution he has an excuse why it won't work. In the meantime he tries to solve his simple problem with a complicated solution that includes multiple proplems he says he can't solve.
So, yeah, that can be very frustrating.
Everytime he wants to be told what to do, but when being told what to do, nothing happens. It took him over 6 weeks to click 'join' on a facebook group for local filmmakers.

He made a short before. He should be able to make more if he wants to.

PS.
In my frustration I posted many questions, which are possible sources of inspiration.

PPS.
I think IT is very open in general.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote