Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Documentary

Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
lewis886
Basic Member

Windows Media Player NEPTUNE: A Planetary Biography - short documentary

This is a short film that I made which examines the discovery and exploration of the planet Neptune, and what we know about it.
It started when I read about the story of how Neptune was discovered. I'm a big space geek, and though I watch almost every space documentary I can get my hands on, I'd never heard it. It is a story worth being told, so I decided to tell it, and include a lot of the rest of the basic info about the planet.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Edit: It's about 14 min long.

Last edited by lewis886; 06-27-2017 at 01:21 PM. Reason: corrected link,
lewis886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
BeyondtheDomain
Basic Member

Think you did a good job - for me audio could of been louder
BeyondtheDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
WendyFisher42
Basic Member

This is awesome. Smooth, elegant, and easy to take seriously. I never realized that Neptune is blue! And I like the trouble you took to find images of the people who led to its discovery. I dig the overall aesthetic; subtle but majestic. My one piece of feedback is that this overall soothing and left me a little bit sleepy. Interspersing moments of excitement via music/editing/intensity could help viewer retention. It's a wonderful production - well done.
WendyFisher42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
lewis886
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyFisher42 View Post
This is awesome. Smooth, elegant, and easy to take seriously. I never realized that Neptune is blue! And I like the trouble you took to find images of the people who led to its discovery. I dig the overall aesthetic; subtle but majestic. My one piece of feedback is that this overall soothing and left me a little bit sleepy. Interspersing moments of excitement via music/editing/intensity could help viewer retention. It's a wonderful production - well done.
Thank you, Wendy. I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much. It was a lot of fun to do.

I did actually think about the changing-music thing a bit, and a friend who gave me feedback mentioned it. I decided that if it was any longer I would have, but I just felt that it was just short enough to be okay. Maybe I was wrong. I guess I also felt that using anything except the "Neptune" suite from Holst's 'The Planets' would be cheating. haha

Again, I'm really glad you enjoyed it so much, and thanks for the feedback.
lewis886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
joelhall
Basic Member

Very good, actually. Know what it reminded me of? Those documentaries from the 80s and 90s, when we didn't have our intelligence insulted.

Our of interest, as a fellow planetary nerd, which scope do you use?
joelhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
John_Whitehead
Basic Member

Great Documentary. informative and engaging. I really like the depth of detail you go into both in the audio commentary and the photographic diagrams of Neptune. Superb research.
John_Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote