Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Pre-Production

Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
trueindie
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Hardwood View Post
I am a detail oriented person. In my profession, I have to be. I don't really have a set budget as it were. As I said in my previous post, all I really have to pay for is gasoline to get the model to the shooting range and ammunition for when we get there. I already own a fair amount of gear that will allow me to shoot this thing without buying/hiring much/anything. I can shoot my segments by myself using a locked camera position in my studio. The conspiracy theorist is doing his segments via telephone so it will just be a still of a silhouette and a count down timer on the screen for his bits. The model/firearms girl will be doing her stuff at a shooting range and that is our only exterior location. The place that we will be using is on public land and is free to use.
Awesome! When I heard you talk about the studio, I thought you'd have to pay extra for that. That's why I asked. Thanks for explaining.

Sounds like you're all action. This feels like it's going to be great. Looking forward to seeing it.
trueindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
IndiePaul
Premiere Member

jmoschner - outstanding post. Thanks for taking the time to share all that.

IndiePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

I had some flooding issues in the studio. That is what happens when you don't have to pay for studio space, you have to take care of maintenance issues that pop up. I think I have the problem solved but I have to wait for another hard rain to make certain before I lay the new flooring. None of this is essential to making my series, it just makes the space nicer to work in. The goal is to begin uploading episodes by the end of November.
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

The new flooring is finally going down and looking good. I'm still working on locating and sealing the water penetration issue. I have decided that promoting the show before I release it is a good idea. What I am going to do is shoot a bunch of 30-60 second "quick tip" spots and upload those to (hopefully) generate interest in the show. I am also going to shoot some publicity stills with the model.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Promo shooting is scheduled for this Sunday.

It seems to me that hoping to make any real money from YouTube views is a fool's errand. The number of views and popup ad clicks that you need to get before you start generating any revenue is prohibitive. My plan is to use the show to sell merchandise, such as autographed posters of the model and T-shirts. If I get any income from views, that is strictly a bonus. I am however considering not monetizing the series at all. I have a 30ish second video that has a 3 and a half minute commercial in front of it. That is ridiculous. Who is going to sit through almost four minutes of commercial to watch a 30 second clip. My current thinking is that I am best served by not having the commercials at all and just pushing my merch.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
CraigL
Basic Member

Quote:
Promo shooting is scheduled for this Sunday.
Good luck! Or break a leg... what is the appropriate well wishing when it comes to film/video production?

Quote:
I have a 30ish second video that has a 3 and a half minute commercial in front of it. That is ridiculous. Who is going to sit through almost four minutes of commercial to watch a 30 second clip. My current thinking is that I am best served by not having the commercials at all and just pushing my merch.
I've been feeling the same way... I am getting very tired of the commercials, and when it seems like the commercial time exceeds (or is even half) of what I'm attempting to watch, I must admit I just close the window down.

Can you choose which videos are monetized in YouTube? Otherwise, it seems like making a promo channel in addition to the regular one might be useful.

CraigL
CraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
IndiePaul
Premiere Member

Quote:
I have a 30ish second video that has a 3 and a half minute commercial in front of it. That is ridiculous. Who is going to sit through almost four minutes of commercial to watch a 30 second clip.
Good luck with the series. Am looking forward to seeing it.

I'm not understanding something though. I use youtube a fair amount and the only ads I seem not to be able to skip are for no more than 15 seconds or so. I have never had to sit through a 3 and half min ad.

Obviously as soon as I can skip an ad, I do.

I don't know anything about youtube monetization but if someone has to sit through a 3 and a half min ad for you to get eg 30 seconds of content and you get eg 10 cents then I agree, no one's going to do it.

A youtube monetization question: does someone have to sit through the whole ad in order for the channel owner to get paid? I.e. if you watch the first 15 seconds or so then skip, the channel owner does not get paid?

p.s. I'm sure you have read this (unlike me yet) but just in case...

https://www.youtube.com/yt/playbook/

Last edited by IndiePaul; 11-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
IndiePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

You are correct, if the viewer does not watch the entire ad, I get nothing. I don't see many people sitting through a 3 1/2 minute ad for any video, much less one of mine. If the ad isn't too long, I will sit through it so that the content provider can get paid.

On the upside, I shot the footage for the first promo last night. Now I just need to find the time to edit and upload it.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

I have to reshoot my promo because I referred to a piece of equipment by the wrong name. It is a critical failure. I downloaded a teleprompter app for my iPad and I will script things out from here on.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Well, it is officially time to replace the model. She is having financial troubles and is picking up every extra shift that she can at work. This does not leave her much time to commit to the web show. I understand her difficulties but must have someone that I can rely on. The search is on. My producer has three potential models for me to check out. Too bad the first one was so perfect for the role.

Last edited by Lucky Hardwood; 11-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Better to catch it now than later
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Last night I reshot the first promo and posted an ad for a new female presenter. I am dumping the footage into my editing rig now.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
kjones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I am about to (finally) begin production on two web series...<snip>

My audio is passable for YouTube ... .
L.H., sounds exciting!

And you might re-think your audio quality. Get the best equipment you can afford, hire a sound recordist with his/her own. Aim for a quality level *above* YouTube. In the future you may want to put your segments on Vimeo, or some other venue, where the sound quality will be more apparent. Sub-par audio can be a real turn-off and you don't want to take your viewers away from watching all your segments.

Best of luck, keep us up to date!
kjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Had a really good interview with a potential replacement for the model. This one is finishing up her degree in Film/Theater Studies and has a very impressive resume. She is a little light on the firearms skills, but she is willing to learn and I happen to be an instructor. Once she finishes her final exams, she should be good to go.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #30
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Here is a pic of the replacement. She has a very impressive resume.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.6 KB, 0 views)