Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Festivals

Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
buscando
Basic Member

What's your internet speed, computer, OS, & browser?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-03-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Go with Vimeo. It carries a perceived value of being for pros.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #18
Knight28
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Go with Vimeo. It carries a perceived value of being for pros.

So, in the cover letter, should I say that, in Vimeo, the film must be viewed in regular-screen format and not in full-screen format?

I am concerned that, if my cover letter is not read and if someone tries to view the film, in Vimeo, in the full-screen format and if the film freezes, then I will look bad, and the film will not be accepted.
Knight28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
Knight28
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
What's your internet speed, computer, OS, & browser?
I have an HP Pavilion with Win 7. I have Performance Internet from Xfinity (whatever speed that is), and I use IE and Chrome.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #20
Knight28
Basic Member

There may be a problem with my effort to submit my film to film festivals.

In my original thread (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=64484), I explained that the DP of my 48 Hour Film Project team had edited his own version of the film, and that I had refined his version to produce the version that I intend to submit to festivals.

Well, I just found the DP's Vimeo channel, and it appears that his version of the film (the entire version) is on that Vimeo channel. Furthermore, that Vimeo video is embedded in the DP's professional website, in the section of the website called "Cinematography Portfolio".

Will that version's presence on the DP's Vimeo channel and website cause problems for my effort to submit my version to film festivals? Should I ask the DP to take down his version?

I haven't told any members of our team that I've been editing my own version of the film for submission to film festivals, and I would prefer to not say anything unless the film gets accepted into a festival and/or wins a festival award.

Last edited by Knight28; 03-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #21
Knight28
Basic Member

I have read that, if there is any connection between someone in charge of a particular festival and someone who worked on a film that will be submitted to that festival, then that connection should be mentioned in the submission cover letter.

For example, if the film's director and one of the festival programmers knew each other in film school, then that should be mentioned in the cover letter.

With that in mind, I researched a certain festival and found the names of the two programmers. I saw that one of the programmers and I have a Facebook friend in common. This Facebook friend was a co-producer of an independent feature film in which I had a small speaking part. All I know is that the co-producer and the programmer are Facebook friends. I do not know how well they know each other.

So, should I mention my connection to the programmer (via the co-producer) in the submission cover letter? Or will the programmer be creeped out because I looked at his Facebook page?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Man, stop worrying. Submit per normal and see what pans out.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight28 View Post
should I mention my connection to the programmer (via the co-producer) in the submission cover letter?
Mention it only if you think the producer will convince the programmer to get you in because they loved you in your small speaking role. Otherwise it's an indirect connection. You only knew because you ordered a dossier on the programmer. Your attention to detail & preparation is impressive. It's almost as involved as Operation Grand Slam on Fort Knox!
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #24
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Do not mention it, and stop playing Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon or you will keep finding connections.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #25
Knight28
Basic Member

Last edited by Knight28; 03-24-2018 at 10:40 PM.