• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Overcoming Writters Block

Just recently I have been working on a script, it been flowing pretty nicely then suddenly writters block caught me. What are some teqniques, you guys use to overcome writers block? The only think I can think of is to sight see or search online or in libaries on the subject to brain storm new ideas.

Write something else.

If you need to brainstorm I find it easiest to engage in a mindless activity like washing dishes or knitting (or for me, when I have a massage client) and just keep thinking and thinking and thinking. When you get an idea, don't write it down right away, but keep thinking about it until you absolutely have to write it. Then do it.

Write something else.

It also helps if it is a complete 180 degrees opposite of your current project. If you're writing a drama try for a comedy, etc.

You can also lampoon your current idea - turn it inside-out, ridicule it, completely fold and spindle and mutilate it.

You also mentioned "sight seeing" but a field trip should also be another very different experience. Do something way out to lunch or something with which you may be uncomfortable. You may even want to volunteer for a charity; that definitely gives you a new perspective.

Drink a lot of alcohol (non-rubbing) for about a day, or multiple days if your block is really bad.

Or drink while you write. But I usually just sit and think about the story over and over again, then just write what ever comes to my head. Even if it's random stuff that's unneeded. Then just go back, proofread and take out any unnecessary content.

Writing a few lines of poetry always helps too.

You're too close to your work. Go out, see a new movie and go back to your script feeling inspired with a fresh ming.

If that don't work, watch movies related to what you are working on to feel inspired.

Sometimes a change of scenery or a good night's rest can help too. A clear and open mind is the best way to write.

Depends upon the time frame you're under the gun to overcome the issue.

For writers that "just start" a story and have no idea where they're going or how they're going to get there writer's blocks will be an ever present specter to stymie their progress.

I'd never advocate this approach. It's a recipe for a soul grinding catastrophe.
"I'm just going to wake up in the morning, take off all my clothes, and run naked through the streets. See how that turns out."
Umm... yeah. Don't do that.

For those writers that have nothing at the moment burning a hole in their head but "think" they "should" be doing something I'd suggest:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=186753#post186753
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=196432#post196432

For a writer with an immediate deadline of a few hours or days go back and re-outline the whole story, connect your dots how A leads to B, B to C, and so forth.
Do it on paper/computer.
Not in your head. There's too much sh!t jammed in there already, which is the nature of the problem.
By stepping back a moment you'll likely "see" some workaround that wasn't apparent before.
You really don't have time for lollygagging, so "Chop! Chop!" get your a$$ to work.

For a writer with weeks to months to produce product then take the luxury of a deep fall back.
Get away from the material.
Revisit a dropped interest, go wander the mall/Home Depot/marina/cat house/another writing project.
Just get the away from what you're working on overtly so that your subconscious can get some breathing room and working space to rearrange some pieces which are jammed tight together and going nowhere.
Ever poured crumbly material through a funnel only to have it jam in the neck?
Same thing, except you can't use a stick to poke and jab inside your mind.
How about you quit pouring too much material through a fixed port?
Jathink?!

If you'd physically outline a project beforehand, breaking it down into a list of discrete quanta of goals, like construction directions, you can avoid writers block altogether.

GL!

Last edited:
but a field trip should also be another very different experience. Do something way out to lunch or something with which you may be uncomfortable.

Im going to do that for sure!

@modernday thats a great idea however I don't want my movie to simulare to the other but, its still good :)

I finally thought of some things..music inspired it!

Something else that affects your abilities is "practice." As a musician I practiced, and did other things like exercise, every day. I developed a routine of wake-up, light breakfast, stretch, run, light weights, stretch, another light breakfast, shower, practice, learn new material, eat lunch, pack, load the car, shower/shave, and then go to the gig. Several times each month on an off night I would go to an audition, open mic night or jam session to break out of the routine.

Taking a vacation meant a complete break - stretching was still a must, but no practice, etc. I would definitely come back refreshed and more focused.

Today it's a lot simpler; a light breakfast, a stretch/work out and right to work - even if there's no work. I can always create new sounds and "play" with my "toys", doing a lot of experimentation. A fairly large percentage is garbage, but it is useful garbage; and every day that you learn something is a good day.

The point is to be good at anything you need to do it every day. Develop a routine that works for you. Yeah, it can suck, especially if you have a real job. Lots of folks tell me they're just too tired after work to write or whatever. Okay, get up early and write (or whatever). This is, supposedly, what you really want out of life; isn't it worth a little bit of a sacrifice?

Back