14' carbon fiber fishing pole/possible boom?

my first impressions of the $149 carbon fiber boom pole from B&H.

Can go very long.
When partially collapsed, the inner tubes can bang against the other and rattle a bit.
Came with some oil on it.
Sections don't slide smoothly in and out.
The locking system seems a bit under engineered.
When fully extended it droops a bit.
Internal cable support means custom cable job, I don't see how a coiled cable would fit inside the tubes when collapsed, so I think its straight though with slack hanging off the back end.
Used it on a shoot over the weekend.
A lot quieter than my DIY painters pole.
Seems like a good purchase. Maybe the shorter, heavier rode for the same price would have a better build quality.
I feels its a good value. More money would get a better product, but its a few step up from DIY

When partially collapsed, the inner tubes can bang against the other and rattle a bit.

Fully extend a section or don't extend it at all.

Came with some oil on it.

That sucks.

Sections don't slide smoothly in and out.
The locking system seems a bit under engineered.

You get what you pay for...

When fully extended it droops a bit.

Even the really good ones do when fully extended.

Internal cable support means custom cable job, I don't see how a coiled cable would fit inside the tubes when collapsed, so I think its straight though with slack hanging off the back end.

I was curious about that, but I'm not surprised...

Used it on a shoot over the weekend. A lot quieter than my DIY painters pole.

I should sure as hell hope so!

Seems like a good purchase. Maybe the shorter, heavier Rode for the same price would have a better build quality. I feels its a good value. More money would get a better product, but its a few steps up from DIY

Good review.

photo of the boom in use, not even fully extended.

181762_1740800672572_1015344444_31884046_6563884_n.jpg

well... not to nock a painters pole hahahahahahaha

but... thats what i use...

5473564136_2fa5487c49_z.jpg

and it has about 20 pounds of brass as a counter weight (dont ask why he used brass to make the counter weight... his argument was "its easier to work with than steel and i have a #&$@ ton of it")

but it mounts to my man froto and goes about 12 feet or so... and can go up higher depending on how hi up i set my man froto...

it can hold up to a kilo on the end... right now its only using 500 grams or so... and it does droop a little hahahahaha

hey when you live on an island ... you do with what you got... hahahahahahah

its hard to get stuff shipped here... so eh... my painters pole is awesome hahaha... i do like that carbon fiber boom... and since mine is completely upgradeable... i might go with something like that

this is a vid of the shots i got with it... you can see there is a little play in the pole...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvY-2QzkwDM

and we are adding tension cables to stiffen it and a ball and socket control assembly to get x/y axis control out of the camera
5470768414_0e7dfb9a09_z.jpg

this end will have the extention cables and t bracket atached to the camera

5473564158_2e45bb3551_z.jpg

Last edited:
if we can make a painters brush work... then i guarantee you can make any kind of carbon fiber pole work... GUARANTEE...

carbon fiber is stiff or way lighter than this pole... and you get the pretty carbon fiber look...

and we all know.... Carbon fiber is the new Black

Back