Filmmaking Question

Hello Film creatives,

I am working on some research for a project I am working on and hoping to get some perspective with a few questions. When it comes to film production...
1. What challenges beings faced
2. Where the in-efficiencies in film production (finding and hiring good talent etc)
3, Do you have perspective on how current technology can help those inefficiencies?

Everything going horribly wrong.

2. Where the in-efficiencies in film production (finding and hiring good talent etc)

Time = money.

3, Do you have perspective on how current technology can help those inefficiencies?

Time machine.

Working around actor's schedules and getting everyone in the same place for a big scene.
Dealing with SAG Actors because SAG has a lot of hoops to jump through before they sign off on one of their actors

Time & finding the right people for the role with good worth ethic and that believe in the project.

Yes, the more you can do in Post the better off you'll be for any Sci-Fi film, but ALWAYS keep it practical. After Effects, Nuke, & Premiere are life savers and worth the money.

Poorly written script.
Badly managed budget.
Insufficient preproduction.
Inept talent on both sides of the camera.
Lack of creative and technical communication.

No technology can save a poorly planned, badly supervised production. Technology should be a tool, not a band-aid.

What most low/no/mini/micro budget filmmakers fail to do is work within the limitations of their budget and resources; they try to make "Titanic" on a "Blair Witch Project." budget.

And, of course, as one of the resident "soundies" I have to add…….

99% completely ignore sound until they hit post production. They have no sonic concept for the film (which starts in preproduction), they do not retain a competent PSM/Boom-Op (which can very substantially increase the audio post budget), and then try to do the audio post themselves (where they usually have no experience whatsoever).

Trying the lean startup method?

Question 1 is so generic in aspect to filmmaking, you can get a dozen or even a hundred answers.
In general the challenge is to get all the means and people together at the right time in the right place (wherever in the project). However this does not mean you need to build an agenda synchroniser, because that is not what the above means :-p

If you really want to know: get out of the building and try to shoot a short.
And then ask other filmmakers :-p

Time machine?
Count me in, if it travels faster than 60 minutes per hour (already got one of those) and if it can go back in time.

Back