Starting a production company. From the ground up.

I want to make movies, ultimately, but I want to do things my way. That means I am unwilling to just sell scripts. I want to direct, film, and edit my movies. If I can fit into a part, I'll act too.

Now I'm young, but I'm smart and full of ambition. And I want this bad enough that I'm going to spend the rest of my life in pursuit of filmmaking. If I never make movies, I will never be satisfied with my life. (Unless I magically find billions of dollars and convince Sofia Vergara to marry me. lol)

I initally was just hoping to make a few low budget (not low quality) films and try to build a reputation for myself that way, but to be honest, even "low budget" is expensive anymore.

<Getting to the point now>
If I'm going to spend the money on cameras, computers, insurance and misc equipment, I figure I might as well start a small production company with that, instead of just making an expensive pastime while I work somewhere else.
I.E, I'd like to make money off of my film equipment as a day job, and work on my independent and creative projects in my spare time.
I have some friends who share my interests and who would help/contribute to the company. (We were already making plans on getting an LLC set up.)

What I'm here to as is: What direction should I take this?

I have basic skills already and I know enough to at least be professional enough to make a quality product. Also, I'm very good with technology. I have used professional software and equipment before and am confident that if I can't do it now, I can learn anything I need to learn. (I became decent with Adobe Premier, and used Canon XL's in high school. From that I can dink around with the software and hardware enough to teach myself more advanced things.) I'll also have an associate's degree pretty soon but I don't think I can afford film school.

I was hoping someone else out there has started their company from the ground-up and could shed a little light on how to do this successfully.

Here's what I'll be starting with. I don't have these things yet, but I plan on buying them soon. I want to start small and cheap then as I do work and can make money from my equipment, I will invest into more and better things for the company. Figure I'll have around $3000 to start. If I need more, I'll GET more. Any other NEEDS for equipment or suggestions on specific products, please comment on.

1 Computer - I can edit/store media on.
1 Camera - Something decent, Probably an XL if I go SD, or if I can get the money, I'll have to look into HD cameras later. I really don't know much about shooting on 35mm or any other film, I'm a digital guy.
1 Steadycam - Probably something cheap that will work well. My brother has an arm mount that is a pain because of weight, but it was inexpensive and the footage from it is beautiful.
1 Light & Light stand - Again, cheap, but effective.
1 Tripod
1 Quality Mic - I want an all purpose

Here's some of the Ideas I had for making money:
Weddings
Commercials for local business
Music Videos for aspiring artists
Documentaries
Non-Pro Sports... I can't really think of anything after that.

That's going to add to your already considerable obstacles.
I ALWAYS rely on other people. When I make a movie I
have plenty of people around me to do their jobs. It's one
of the aspects of movie making I truly love - working with
talented, dedicated, passionate people.

But I hear ya. You can do it without trusting others and you
might be able to write, direct, film, edit and even act in your
movies without relying on anyone else. You might even be
able to start and run your prodCo without anyone else. But
in my opinion (and it's really only one person's opinion) you
could miss out on the amazing things that can happen on a
movie set that has others working on it. I have learned so
much from others and have grown so much as a director
and a writer (and as an editor and DP) by relying on other
people.

You have really set yourself a difficult challenge. But it seems
you are up to it. I wish you the best in your solo endeavors and
if you need any advice, let me know.

Again, thanks. I am young with LOADS to learn. I believe in myself first, which is at least a good place to start. I'll try to be as open minded with my approach to this as possible and see where the road takes me.

And I will definitely take you up on that offer for advice sometime. You seem very knowledgeable and down to earth and I'm guessing from your "guru" status that you've seen your share of the industry and have valuable opinions. I appreciate it!

We seem to be in the same boat. All I can say is take things slow. Since we are young work is not going to come to us, we have to go out and find it. If you hear of any productions in town offer to help out as a PA or grip. Its a great way to start making connections and gaining some experience. Or you could go my route and try and find a film internship, also very helpful.

As for your production company, it all begins with a business plan. I suggest reading "Filmmakers and Financing: Business Plans for Independents" It really helped me get off the ground.

Good luck and I hope to see you in the biz some day!

Irin, I have just stumbled across this thread. Its been just over two years. I just wondered where you stand now? Are you on your way to living the dream?

Best quote from the whole thread "Opinions are like A$$Holes; every one has one and they all stink" Brilliant :lol:

Working for free might sound like a good idea in theory, but even charging a little bit is justified when you have talent, and it implies confidence in your final product. I used to offer free music to film directors as a way to become exposed, but in the end I was just being taken advantage of. Instead of establishing a price on a case-by-case basis, establish it ahead of time before the transaction begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys I'm Aniq and I'm new to the forum and reading over this thread I feel like I've learnt a lot. Alcove Audio and Directorik have given me a lot of insight to the industry already and its suprising how similar my situation is to TI Irwin. I too am 19 whereas he is in Missouri I am in London, England. I'm leaving to go to University this Fall too to study Film and hopefully that will offer a lot of oppurtunities. I too want to start a production company and I have made quite a few movies and stuff but its interesting to read Alcove Audio's and Directorik's advice on the industry as it matches a lot of the advice I've gotten.

I'm looking forward to reading more and learning more and making movies too!

I’m extremely smart. I’m very articulate and I have very good reading and writing skills. I may be very young, but my intellect greatly exceeds my peers. My ACT/ACT Compass scores prove that in paper and every instructor I’ve ever come into contact with has told me this.

All that and you're modest, look at you.

This is another great idea I never thought of. Location wise, would I have better chances of getting such work in say California or Colorado?
I'm pretty sure I'd HAVE to work for free seeing as I have no credentials that would get me hired on set. Which would be fine as long as I had alternate ways of making money. I'll have to think of ways to make that work too.

Hey TI Irwin I have checked out your post and I am interested in working with you, I have a project that I am working on, but I need to form a production company and work on getting my material copy written, but the only thing is that I am in Atlanta, Georgia. If you are willing to hear what ideas I have then email me at mkendrik@hotmail.com

This is exactly what I did when I started out 13 years ago. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible. The best way to look at it is to think about how you stand apart from YOU. There are thousands of YOU with the same goal and dreams. They are all talented and all willing to work for nothing. So what service are you giving them that others can't.

First, if you have the passion and talent, but don't have the skill. Volunteer under someone you admire and hope they can mentor you.

You will have to do the first few for free. You need to have a product to show people to stop them thinking their nephew Timmy has a camera and can do it for $40.

Hook up with other talented people. Nice motion graphics go a LONG way with impressing potential clients. Start After Effects tutorials...you will need this.

The value the clients will see is the value you teach them. Many think you should be able to whip off a 20 minute video in two days for $100. This will certainly be the case until you develop return clients and a solid reputation.

What eventually secured me standing apart and allowed me to charge $1000 per finished minute for corporate work, or charge $500 per day for shooting is that I had a limited liability company with insurance. Many larger companies only feel comfortable working with LLC. I also learned how to maintain and properly assign the rights being created (actors, trademarks, stock images, video, music). Securing the rights in your company protects the client during production and ensures you get your final payment as the rights are not assigned to your client until the final check is received - meaning you own the product until full payment is received.

Don't run out and set up a LLC until you have products and interested clients. You may need to knock on doors and do cold calls to create free online content for companies until you build your reputation.

Starting this way gave me the freedom to be able to finance my own documentaries which I then licensed for broadcast and earn a living from. I am not Goliath...I don't even know if I am David, but I am doing what I want.

It is possible.

https://www.facebook.com/chainoftitle

Figure I'll have around $3000 to start. If I need more, I'll GET more. Any other NEEDS for equipment or suggestions on specific products, please comment on.

1 Computer - I can edit/store media on.
1 Camera - Something decent, Probably an XL if I go SD, or if I can get the money, I'll have to look into HD cameras later. I really don't know much about shooting on 35mm or any other film, I'm a digital guy.
1 Steadycam - Probably something cheap that will work well. My brother has an arm mount that is a pain because of weight, but it was inexpensive and the footage from it is beautiful.
1 Light & Light stand - Again, cheap, but effective.
1 Tripod
1 Quality Mic - I want an all purpose

I'm no business expert, but I can bring some food for thought to the table. I don't know what you're getting your associates degree in, maybe it's business or finances or something. But, if you don't understand the whole setting up and running a business, getting insurance, paying taxes, wages(when you hire someone) etc. you're gonna have to learn or pay someone to do it for you.

Where are you gonna run this company out of? Are you going to run it out of an apartment, your house, your parent's house? Meeting with clients in a place of living is not a very professional way to present yourself and your business. That $3000 you have in mind isn't going to even cover the rent or lease on a commercial building.

There are a lot of other overhead costs related to a business, but I'm just gonna address your list and allotting $3000 to it.

1 Computer - $750-$1000 for a powerful computer with a few TB of storage
1 Camera - $1000 for a DSLR with a lens or two
1 Steadycam - Assuming you mean a stabilizer, not a true steadicam costing thousands $150-$250 for entry level
1 Light & Light Stand - You can't properly light a film with one light $200-$300 for a cheap ebay/amazon kit
1 Tripod - $100-$200 for an entry level fluid head
1 Quality Mic - Plus a nice digital recorder $800-$1400

Low end of that puts you at your $3000 that you have in mind. High end puts you over $4000. And you're gonna end up needing more than just what you have listed. In gear alone, expect to be at a minimum of $4000-$5000.

To sum it up, you WILL need more. Add a 0 to your $3000, and you'll be getting close to the ball park of what it costs to start what you want.

I am sure taking the advice here...you will do very well. It's nice to see someone young who has drive and ambition and asking for advice.
I would love to see a sampling of your work posted here!

I'm 21 and don't want to go to school to study film. I've been filming since I was 13 and have devolved decent camera skills. I've edited quite a few of my own short video and have learned how to edit through online tutorials. Seven months ago I started my own LLC, basically so my videos can be legitimate and so I can make money on them.

I have never worked with anyone in the industry. I want to learn and gain experience working with people. Does anyone have advice for me to market my self and/or my company to production company's? Obviously I'm willing to do anything, PA, grip, set builder, drive, stuntman, etc... I'll give anything my best shot. Also I am business minded, I currently manage a store with eight full time employees. My goal is to learn the ins and outs of making money in the film industry and to find others that share similar visions and messages they would like to show the world.

Should I send "resumes" to company's
post services on Craig list, Mandy films or like websites
or should I march down in person to the production companys door and tell them I'm awesome, hire me!

Back