Is it me or do a lot of indie films in festivals feel kind of empty?

My thought is that great screen writing can overcome mediocre production easier than great production can overcome mediocre screen writing.
+1

WHICH IS MORE TRUE?

Great screen writing can overcome mediocre production?
260px-YellowLabradorLooking_new.jpg

or...

Great production can overcome mediocre screen writing
_looksyummy.jpg

What do I want to be entertained by?
90min of a dog's day out in near-SD quality 4:3 video and 48bit audio?
or 90min of sprinkles on.. you know... in HD 16:9 quality video and 96bit audio? We can make it in 3D if you want? Use boom jibs and helicopter shots. This sh!t'll look great!

:rolleyes::lol:

Of course (some) people also love eye candy. I mean Avatar would have gotten a C- in a community college screen writing class, but (some) people ate it up with a spoon.

My thought is that great screen writing can overcome mediocre production easier than great production can overcome mediocre screen writing. Of course in a perfect world you'd like both and "great" films usually have both.

IMO, film is a collaboration of the various crafts, NOT a competition!! You have to arrive at an end product which is stimulating and engaging. Many film makers seem to get so bogged down in the details of the journey that they miss this destination.

There is a set sequence of procedures but there isn't a set formula for exactly how to create a good film. As with the example of Avatar: World class post (Editing, Sound/Music), high quality production, genre defining VFX, average script/story. But none of that is ultimately relevant, what's important is that they arrived at an exciting, engaging film, for a wide enough range of people to make a serious profit. Like the script or not, Avatar has changed forever the world of film. At every stage, the film maker has got to be asking himself/herself; is what I'm doing going to end up being perceived as simulating and engaging? It's a question which particularly indy film makers appear not to ask frequently enough or if they do, seem unable to answer objectively. That's why the pacing so often is a little off and why indy films often feel slow or empty.

Exactly, one piece of the puzzle (script) was played to the lowest common denominator to allow it to transcend culture and language and be a worldwide financial success. More power to them and I totally understand why they did it. However, that made it a film that will be totally forgotten twenty years from now.

Exactly, one piece of the puzzle (script) was played to the lowest common denominator to allow it to transcend culture and language and be a worldwide financial success. More power to them and I totally understand why they did it. However, that made it a film that will be totally forgotten twenty years from now.

You could be right but I doubt it. I think the opposite is more likely, that it may well be seen in 20 years time as a milestone in film making. A lot might depend on how well Avatar 2 is received but Avatar will go down in the annals of history as the single most important film to drive the take up of digital projection in cinemas around the world and ultimately the nail in the coffin of 35mm film. That it has a weak script is relatively meaningless, except maybe to film makers more interested in the elements of a film than in the outcome.

You could be right but I doubt it. I think the opposite is more likely, that it may well be seen in 20 years time as a milestone in film making. A lot might depend on how well Avatar 2 is received but Avatar will go down in the annals of history as the single most important film to drive the take up of digital projection in cinemas around the world and ultimately the nail in the coffin of 35mm film. That it has a weak script is relatively meaningless, except maybe to film makers more interested in the elements of a film than in the outcome.

I don't think it was the nail for 35mm, but quite certainly the final push for digital projection.

Your posts are great, man. Even though I am not a sound guru and I can't afford to be a purist in that area (right now), I totally agree with this POV.

We are confusing commercial success (which is certainly important and something we can talk about), with the "quality" of the film. I thought Avatar completely sucked. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It insulted my intelligence about 10 times a minute. I'll never get back the 3 hours or the $20 it stole from my life and I'll blame James Cameron forever for that. It was total and complete dreck.

However, it was very carefully commercially constructed (starting with the second grade level script) to make a shit ton of money, and it did. Hats off to them. So as a product, a complete and rousing success. As anything we could with a straight face refer to as "art" it doesn't crack the top 10,000.

I mean we can argue about whether Miley Cyrus is "better" than Hank Williams Sr because she's sold more records than he did, but it's hard to do it with a straight face. They aren't even really the same thing.

People will STILL be watching The Empire Strikes back 20 more years from now even though the effects look dated because it's brilliant on every level. 20 years from now when Avatars effects look dated it will be forgotten because that's the only leg it has to stand on.

We are confusing commercial success (which is certainly important and something we can talk about), with the "quality" of the film. I thought Avatar completely sucked. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

... As anything we could with a straight face refer to as "art" it doesn't crack the top 10,000.

I agree with the the fact that the script is second rate and the acting is competent but certainly not in the top league. The sound and music doesn't qualify IMHO as masterpiece but it's certainly world class, same with the editing and as for the visual design and CGI work, not "art"? Are we talking about the same film?

All art is ultimately a language of communication. What's important is the people who experience our art are engaged by it. The cross section of people we are trying to engage, the target audience, is a decision for the film maker but I would suggest James Cameron's target audience is quite different from the majority of indy film makers. Cameron took significant risks in the format and artistic design of Avatar, yet succeeded in stimulating and engaging a huge percentage of his target audience. For this reason alone Avatar is a "good film" and there are lessons to be learnt from it, in the art of story telling, which are applicable to all film makers. For a film maker to say that it "completely sucked" and is "one of the worst films I've ever seen" is IMHO, either extremely disingenuous or extremely ignorant.

I mean we can argue about whether Miley Cyrus is "better" than Hank Williams Sr because she's sold more records than he did, but it's hard to do it with a straight face.

Music (as a product offered for sale to the public), like with film, is a collaboration of professionals: Singer/Musician, song writer, recording engineers, producer, mastering engineer and marketing. There is a great deal of art and talent in the product sold as "Miley Cyrus". For example, in the creation of energy by the recording engineers, producer and mastering engineers. There can't be any doubt that Hank Williams was a better singer and performer than Miley Cyrus but we can make an argument that as a music product, Miley Cyrus is "better" than Hank Williams and in some respects even artistically superior (mastering and production for example) and no, it's not hard to do it with a straight face. The only people incapable of identifying any artistic merit in the Miley Cyrus product are those outside the target audience and with little or no appreciation or understanding of how a musical product is created. I personally hate Miley Cyrus' music and judge her as relatively talentless but as an experienced professional I am also able to identify, appreciate and learn from the skills and artistry employed to create it.

...I'll never get back the 3 hours or the $20 it stole from my life and I'll blame James Cameron forever for that. It was total and complete dreck.

Avatar provides a masterclass in many of the film making crafts, including arguably the most important, how to manipulate an audience. Even if I had hated Avatar, as a film maker it was more than worth the 3 hours and the $20. I don't mean to be insulting but even if you were the greatest film maker who ever lived, I still feel you could've learnt enough to justify the $20.

I'm not saying you should like Avatar, that's down to personal taste but looking at it as a film maker, Avatar is an amazing achievement and deserves a great deal more respect and appreciation, especially from people who should have at least a reasonable understanding of how difficult it is to make a film.

G

A great deal of people connected emotionally with Avatar. Call it manipulation if you want. Bottom line is that the movie did what it set out to do -- connect with people's hearts. The fact that a few people don't like it does not change the fact that a lot of people were moved by it. In the end, it's a rousing experience, and a whole lot more than eye candy.
Avatar_Na__vi_Jake_Emoticon_by_DaLegendary360.gif

Eywa gnahu :D

A great deal of people connected emotionally with Avatar. Call it manipulation if you want. Bottom line is that the movie did what it set out to do -- connect with people's hearts. The fact that a few people don't like it does not change the fact that a lot of people were moved by it. In the end, it's a rousing experience, and a whole lot more than eye candy.
Avatar_Na__vi_Jake_Emoticon_by_DaLegendary360.gif

Eywa gnahu :D

As they say, nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public.. or worldwide film making audiences.

A bad looking movie with good audio is just as bad as a good looking movie with bad audio.

I totally disagree.
Although most people think of movies as a visual thing, the audio part is less forgiving than the visual part.
(Blair Witch Project is a nice example; goodsound make it really scaring and believable.)

I think a lot of indie films out there suffer from poor editing and struggling to fill what they think the appropriate time for a feature should be. A lot of the pacing issues in most of the slow/boring indie films I've seen could be fixed by just tightening up the editing and shaving 15-20 minutes off the overall length.

I once cut out 15 minutes from a 60 minutes unfinished edit. Only 75% of the story was edited at that time, but I watched it twice and trimmed it.
It was a friend's project, he was on a tight deadline and wanted a fresh view on things, because he felt is was too long. He shot it, but the director (who also wrote it) was really inexperienced and wanted a lot of unneeded scenes and 'fillers' with scenery-shots.
I took the razor and cut out the boring parts, trimmed a few scenes and cut them tighter. I just sat there for 1 day, without consulting the director :P
A few days later it was screened: my friend's girlfriend told me he said I 'saved' the movie. :D
I only looked at it with fresh eyes.
Maybe that's the problem with a lot of indie projects: no fresh input/feedback during writing or editing.

A lot of bigger budget movies use testscreenings to see what needs fixing.
Terry Gilliam even did a testscreening of Brazil to proove to the studio that his ending was a good ending.

Last edited:
As they say, nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public.. or worldwide film making audiences.

There it is. Happens every time.

My mom and dad both have masters degrees. My older brother and older sister both have masters degrees. My younger sister is a doctor. My most recent roommate and good friend just got his masters degree. They all liked Avatar, and not one of them likes it merely because it's gorgeous to look at (though that is one of it's strengths).

Critics love to hate James Cameron. The last 3 narrative features he's directed have had increasingly absurd budgets and ever longer shooting schedules. And, each time, the critics said, "This time he's really gone too far," certain that the films would flop. And, each time, the films broke box office records and introduced technology that changed the industry, which just made the critics hate him all the more.

I disagree that JC's scripts are weak. They are DERIVATIVE, no question, but they are very well crafted. Shakespeare stole every plot he ever used from other works, but then retooled them into works that were uniquely and unmistakably his. I'm not saying that JC's writing is on Shakespeare's level - or even close - but what he does with the material is undeniably extraordinary.

As a Story First guy, I'm the first one to complain about crappy writing, and there is A LOT of it evident in studio pictures. Cameron is a recycler, yes, but a damn good one. :yes:

I agree Cameron is not original, aside from The Terminator maybe, but what he does, he does well.

I was thinking about how the editing was mentioned. I am editing my first short film, and it can take weeks to months just to edit one scene alone. Could it be that these filmmakers who submit features, are on there own deadlines to get it in that year, and have to do a quickie editing job, that comes off as very plain therefore?

Back