16mm film editing

Hi

I'm putting together a budget for a ten minute narrative to be shot on 16mm. nothing fancy.
can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what it will cost to

1)process
2)edit
3)color correction

thanks

HCK

My advice is to call up your local labs. Locally, there are a couple of labs that process film and quite a few that will colour grade and all charge different amounts for different things, depending on who you are, where you're from, what you want etc etc.

Call up some labs, tell them that you're a low-budget production (they may give you student pricing) and see how much they'll charge. One of my local labs recently changed their pricing structure to a certain amount per foot of film including process, and best light telecine. Others charge a certain amount for process and then by the hour for telecine, it all depends. Also keep in mind that whilst places like Deluxe have their own colour grading suites, you don't need to stick with the same place for grading. If you can find somewhere cheaper, you can process at Deluxe, transfer at place B and grade at place C. In terms of the edit, it costs only as much as you're paying your editor.

Back