Short Short Film Screenplay for Application

Hello!
I am a new member on Indietalk. Although I've visited it many times.

Quick question:

I am applying to film school and need to write a screenplay for a short film of about 3 minutes.
Does anyone know how many pages are usually written for a 3 minute film?
There is not much dialogue, but there is some.

Also, maybe you could let me know if it's a good idea!

It's about a girl that's moved back to her parents' house with her little sister.
She's in her room talking to her friend about how shitty it all is and how she needs to get out.

Her father then calls to say she has to leave now because there is traffic and she cannot be late (not said to what)

She runs out and is seen panicking a bit as traffic is terrible.

All of the sudden, her dad knocks at the window. He's on his bicycle. He tells her to switch. That way she might make it.

He u-turns back home.

She rides off as fast as she can...

The end.

Thanks already!

Western standard formatting comes out at 1 page per minute. Not a perfect rule but as close as you'll get without actually filming and editing it.

EDIT: Not 100% sure about the idea. Her complaints at the beginning sound a little pointless out of context and if they're never explained. Doesn't really sound like there's a resolution to this- it's not much of a cliffhanger so I suspect it will simply look like you're ending it in the middle of the action...

Thanks for the answer!
In the conversation she talks about how she wants to escape.
But I really appreciate your input and I think you're right. I'll need to come up with something else fast!

Thanks!

Hey Nick,

Here's another one that I wrote a few months ago after finally going back into the water:

A girl and her boyfriend are about to go swimming in the beautiful sea.
She pulls back and looks reticent

Flashback:
She's a little girl on a boat with many people. She pulls her mother's hand to go swimming.
Her mother tells her to go alone but not too far. Not to be scared.
She's swimming and sees a huge shark staring right at her.

Back to the present:
Her boyfriend shows off her muscles and takes her in his arms to show everything will be alright.
They go for a swim.
He's eaten by a shark.

She comes out of the sea. She's angry. She kicks the water and points to it and yells "That's it!" and walks away.

If you really want this, then think about dividing your story into three distinct sections (acts).

Act 1 45 sec.
Act 2 1:30
Act 3 45 sec.

At the end of the first 45 seconds, you spin the story into the next act with a twist.

The first act introduces the story and characters.

The second act is the conflict, with escalating stakes.

The third act resolves the story.

There you demonstrate structure and basic visual storytelling. Choose the story that can fit this paradigm.

Thanks!
So you think this could be a good story?
I have so many short story ideas. It's hard to choose!

But thanks again for your reply!

Back