• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Film Poster Artwork

Artwork for my film finally arrived today. It can be viewed here. I do love it.

Enjoy

More info here: The Girl Without A Song

tgwas1400.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice TI!

However, weren't you sating you wanted to market your film to a mostly female audience?
To fall into the trap of gender stereotyping, the artwork seems quite masculine. Reminds me a lot of artwork of some of the rock bands I used to listen to (which had a 90% male audience)

Looks very nice TI!

However, weren't you sating you wanted to market your film to a mostly female audience?
To fall into the trap of gender stereotyping, the artwork seems quite masculine. Reminds me a lot of artwork of some of the rock bands I used to listen to (which had a 90% male audience)

I was. I kind of still want to focus a bit more on the female audience.

However, the artwork has a little meaning.

In the film, an artist will make the girl without a song a symbolic "mix tape," which will appear in the newspapers in the movie. So that image will become the poster. That's the idea here. I wasn't really looking for a masculine image. But a combination of the possible images and how it could interact with the story was deliberated, and this was the image I decided to go with.

Thanks for viewing and for the comment.

ps. I hope a mix tape is not viewed as masculine though :(

The mix-tape itself isn't masculine at all. The scribbles and red type, however, seem fairly aggressive. If I recall, you wanted to play up the romantic/dramatic/emotional elements? The poster seems like something I'd watch, but I'd expect to be watching something angry and paranoid.

ps. I hope a mix tape is not viewed as masculine though :(

Not the tape itself as such, but it's presentation.

At the moment it's fairly gender neutral. It looks like what a male thought might work if aimed at stroppy female gothy teens. Female psychology tends to be more receptive to some kind of emotive content they can empathise with, and while the scribbles suggest angst, I would've gone with a design which included more human elements.

Obviously the tape has some signifcant importance, so i'm not suggesting you drop it and go start again, it's just an observation from my experience of how those around me react to the marketing we see.

They'll jump on anything with a cute/cool/fucked-up character that they can identify with/relate too. Objects just on thier own just don't seem to trigger anything in them, unless that object has some symbolic or realistic link to how it makes them feel. An unknown/blank tape is just a tool (so it can be very masculine), and so I wouldn't be surprised for instance that if a distro were to pick up your film, the first thing they do is put a melancholic photo of a sad or thoughtful looking female on the front.

Possbily kicking leaves or snow...

Or maybe sitting on some steps...

Or maybe an overhead shot of her laying on her bed, headphones held off to the side in one of her hands...

Gah, you get the idea anyway. :P

Edit: Nearly forgot the thing that drew me to comment here - What I see in your art is a song without a girl, and not a girl without a song....

Last edited:
:D. You guys are so deep.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The artwork has already been sent to the printer by the way and cannot be changed.

song without a girl... hahahah

song without a girl... hahahah

hehe, I just says what I sees. ;) :D

I've also only just realised what this is for. I'm sure we saw your trailer for this a little while ago, and I remember the concept and plot seeming quite interesting (it was the one where she goes to get her song read and finds out she doesnt have one?).

Without knowing much about your film it's hard to say if it will work in the way you're hoping in regards to marketing - but from a purely aesthetic standpoint I think it's a really strong design, nice work!

I like the artwork... I haven't seen your trailer... nor have I read any threads about it?

But in interest of the art lol... I'd watch it from that poster, and then be disappointed that it's a chick focused movie... maybe?

Anyways! Mind posting some pics of the posters when you receive them? Curious how turn out.

I don't have a trailer yet. I did start a thread about the film. That's what A.D. is talking about.

Filming begins on Monday!!

Super nervous!!

I'll update for sure.

Trueindie - My missus thought it was totally uninteresting. She said it looked like it was for boys, and had no emotive content to allow her to relate to it. It looked cool though, but she would not have even walked over to the shelf.

I don't wan't to say I told you so. :P
If you're demographic really is the young female audience, then I'm more than willing to test this on the other varyingly-inclined ladies I know (I presume you didn't?), but I'd put money on none of them being interested.

If a film's marketing doesn't effectively grab the target audience, then those seats just wont get filled. Sorry to be so negative about this, but I think at the very least this release will be a good lesson for you.

Forget the need to impress women with this poster.

Everything in life is a compromise.

There are many reasons why I "settled" for this poster.

I sure as hell hope that this IS the final poster.

What's MOST important about this thread is the fact that you're finally shooting that feature. Congrats! Hope it all comes together. :)

The poster art is striking and different. I like the artist's style. All the scribbles made me think of frizzy curly hair, so maybe down the road, depending on casting, adding the female element *might* help introduce a human element to the story.

This is a very rough example of what it could become (what I see) if you wanted to go that route. Would have to blend the hair style better and finesse it more...

screen-shot-2014-10-26-at-10-17-09-am.png

Anyhoo, just a thought. :idea:

Get a second image too.. and then market both genders.

That doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Also would like to say I really dig the artwork for it. I would take the time to give it a watch, (haveing not seen the trailer, or know what it's about). Although I am 25 M not really what your looking to attract to the film.

Forget the need to impress women with this poster.

Everything in life is a compromise.

There are many reasons why I "settled" for this poster.

I sure as hell hope that this IS the final poster.

What's MOST important about this thread is the fact that you're finally shooting that feature. Congrats! Hope it all comes together. :)

Indeed! Don't let my crtitique get you down, trueindie. Getting to this stage is a feat in itself, and you should be proud no matter what. :yes:

I do wish you all the best with the shooting and rest of the production. :)

Back