Photos of Your Gear, Rigs, Setups, Etc.

Last week I tested an inverted setup with the MoVI. (I call it the interview setup: when you need to interview it is easier to keep the camera at the right height like this.)
I went to an Open Coffee and the photographer caught me in the act:

Open-Coffee-Maassluis-26-02-2015-81.jpg

Was using a C100 with autofocus upgrade. Had to try whether it is a good combo.

Last edited:
Not for everything.
You need to keep things centered to keep it in focus.

I reprogrammed the buttons, so I could activate and de-activate the autofocus: that way I could focus on interviewees and reframe. That worked very well: it's pretty tough to focus by pulling the lens while you are alone with a gimbal in your hands, so that was really nice.
With a lot movement it is more challenging to keep the subject in center (which isn't always nice framing anyway: most of the time it is not). So it is better to stop down the lens a little bit to get less DOF and have a fixed focal distance. It really depends on the shot.

By using it upside down you have to use the small screen on the back of the camera, because you can't mount a field monitor (or any other stuff, except for the reciever for the lav, which was mounts as far away from the moving parts as possible: I'll share a picture of it later :) ) on the support bar (it would block the movement of the gimbal).

My conclusion: in interview settings and for basic movements it works great.
Like in everything: it depends on the situation whether it is the best setup or not.
Just make sure you know when to use auto-focus and when not.

For more advanced stuff or handing over the gimbal needs to be below the bar and not upright.
IMHO that is.

Wow, Phil. Looks like you're livin' the dream. Good for you! :) Can you tell us anything about those shoots?

How do you like your new GoPro, Scoopicman? Going to share any footage? ;)

How do you like your new GoPro, Scoopicman? Going to share any footage? ;)

Since you asked this question, I decided to get off my butt and oblige. It was a good exercise, as it is new to me and I never mounted the camera to anything before. Except for the bluescreen set, this is all natural lighting to show you how the Go Pro does in regular situations. Here you go, Richy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VD7yOPSLhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VD7yOPSLhQ

I haven't messed with the 120 frame slo mo, yet. Also, it takes 12mp pictures.

Wow, thanks, Mike! What a great camera. What great versatility. I liked them all. Two of my favorites are the refrigerator and the submerged-in-water sink shots. All the shots really show off the range and possibilities the camera has and what a valuable tool it could be for storytelling.

Thank you for making that and for sharing it with us! :)

The Cinevate Cyclops arrived today.

It took me some fiddling to get set-up, but now that it is it seems very nice. I couldn't get it to fit snuggly to my camera with the power grip on. There's one thing I'm not absolutely sure I tried (inverting the viewfinder). But I'm pretty sure I did have it in the orientation for maximum height. But I had already taken the grip off and didn't feel like reattaching it and trying to get it set up again to make absolutely sure.

Well, it was pretty good. There was just some slight gap at the top. Not sure that would have even been a problem. But I don't really need to use the power grip, anyway. And with the power grip off, and with some fiddling and adjustments, I got a pretty nice, snug fit.

I haven't really used it yet, let alone tried it out in the bright sun. But I think it's gonna work swell.

I wish it weren't quite so expensive, but it's cheaper than the Zacuto ones (all but one?). And farrrrr cheaper than the high end ones for high end cameras, right? And it's better to pay for something of decent quality than pay less for el cheapo junk.

I thought I liked that I didn't have to use adhesive or things like that for it to work. And whatayado? You need a viewfinder when shooting in the sun. But it's not just that with this viewfinder. I think it will really help me out if I should ever need to shoot video while wearing my glasses. But just generally I do like that you can look with both eyes at the same time. I hope to find that very comfortable when I actually get out and shoot with it.

It's not for the shooter who needs to quickly and conveniently switch between shooting stills (handheld) and shooting video, though. But you could conceivably just hold the viewfinder alone up to your camera without attaching it to the camera or a tripod or a rig, I suppose. Or maybe if you had the rails mount instead of this one. And it's not like you couldn't shoot some stills in live view if you really needed to while it's all attached and set-up for video.

picture.php

I did notice that, as set-up above, there is a slight gap between bottom of the LCD and the bottom of the viewfinder. It can't be adjusted any lower, as far as I can tell. But I wouldn't think it will be any problem being on the bottom and being only a slight gap.

Edit: Oh, with a little more fiddling I figured out how to use this plate-shim-thing (technical term) so I could get the camera higher and therefore the viewfinder as well, which meant that I could eliminate that slight gap at the bottom. So that's nice.

Well, I can't review it beyond that since I haven't actually put it through its paces yet.

Last edited:
Back