Specific things to look out for when licensing footage for a music video

Hi all,

I've been contacted by a musician and his management wants to license my footage for the music video of a track he's releasing.

I've never done this before so I was wondering if anybody could provide some suggestions/tips dealing with specific details. It would be non exclusive, usage only for the music video/social media related to it, and in perpetuity. Anything I'm missing? I suppose I would suggest they draw up the contact and I pass it off to a lawyer to review?

Also I've been looking through a lot of posts on this subject and might as well ask what you all think. The artist is well known in his genre and is asking for the footage from an entire 3 minute video which got attention online (how I was contacted). The footage that's being provided was taken in dozens of countries over a long period of time and compromised of a lot of 2-3 second shots. I looked up stock footage prices and those are typically between $200-300. Since the footage is unique what would be a fair price to ask?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I think stock footage still has stipulations on # of impressions. If his video goes viral you should earn more...if you want.

I do wonder though, is starting with your lawyer first to create a deal more advantageous then coming with their contract and asking for it to be reviewed. hmmm

Yup, talk to an entertainment lawyer. Good luck.

Back