• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

workflow for digital synch sound

So, for the project i'm shooting now I'm getting all my audio separate in an uncompressed wav format. My question is, and hopefully this makes sense, what is the best method for this workflow wise? For the moment I'm having to capture the files to my hard drive, and later i am going to transfer everything to pro-tools which i have yet to actually buy. What is going to be the best point to do the actual synching? My plan was to capture the sound files, import them to final-cut, synch them with the picture after i have a lock on my visual edits, then export the sound files i need to pro-tools to work on them there, then import the final audio mix back into final cut.

A. is this a silly way to do this?

B. Are there any dangers I need to consider? Generation/transfer problems etc.?

Thanks!

I'm going to make the assumption that the audio was recorded separately from the camera.

You sync up the audio clips to the matching video files. You edit the project as usual. The resulting audio files are exported as OMF files, which are then imported into the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

If you are getting Pro Tools you are going to need DigiTranslator, about $500, in order to import OMF files. At that price you may as well get the DV Toolkit, about $1,300, which also includes Digidesign DINR (noise reduction), Digidesign TL Space (convolution reverb), Digidesign X-Form ( time compression/expansion and pitch shifter) and DigiBase Pro (file management), all of which are extremely useful when doing audio post. Since each of those costs about $500 you are saving about $1k plus getting all of the extra video, time code, feet/frames and other functions needed when doing audio post.

Back