Magic Lantern - how much storage for higher bitrates?

Hello guys, if anybody here has experience with Magic Lantern on Canon and recording 1920x1080/25fps in higher bitrates could tell me how much minutes of footage can fit into 32g SD card for every different bitrates (for example CBR 3.0x or CBR 1.6x)?

I am preparing on shooting of aftermovie from concert and I want to know how much SD cards should I borrow and this information would help me so much

Thank you

Hello guys, if anybody here has experience with Magic Lantern on Canon and recording 1920x1080/25fps in higher bitrates could tell me how much minutes of footage can fit into 32g SD card for every different bitrates (for example CBR 3.0x or CBR 1.6x)?

I am preparing on shooting of aftermovie from concert and I want to know how much SD cards should I borrow and this information would help me so much

Thank you

Divide what normally fits by the CBR Xx where X=the factor the bitrate is higher.
If the bitrate is 3.0x higher, you'll have 1/3 of the shooting time.
Just make sure your SD cards are fast enough.

While that may be true for television... graphics cards are international and run on a 60hz refresh rate.

Graphics cards are international and that's why they don't only run at 60Hz refresh rate!

24fps isn't for video... it's for film that are projected in theatres worldwide. 29.97 (30 drop frame) is the NTSC for video, and 60 is divisible by 30.

29.97 is not 30 drop frame (DF), there is no such thing as 30DF! NTSC colour, 29.97 fps can be either DF or NDF (non-drop frame). The refresh rate of NTSC colour is 59.94Hz, not 60Hz. 24fps can also be HD video, not just theatrical films. 23.976fps is a far more common HD frame rate which is referenced to 59.94Hz (video speed) signal. And, theatrical films can be 25fps, not only 24fps!

I haven't got time to go into it now but you are getting all sorts of things mixed up here; refresh rates, film speed/video speed, frame rates and time-code! It might be a good time to go and do some research, although be prepared for some brain-ache! :)

G

Sigh... not sure why I'm replying with researched responses... you'll most likely argue it anyways according to your tone... but here goes...

Graphics cards are international and that's why they don't only run at 60Hz refresh rate!

I have the most high end consumer graphics card currently available. At 2K resolutions or higher the only option is to use 60Hz. Which most people who own this card are most likely using.

If I were to use 1080, I then have the options of 60(default), 59, and 50. (And yes I did check the PAL resolutions).

I think it's safe assumption that most people leave the default (or never even look at these options) meaning majority of viewers on computers are sitting at 60Hz monitors.

29.97 is not 30 drop frame (DF), there is no such thing as 30DF!

This was actually my bad, not sure why I called that a drop frame, in my head I did the math wrong and thought I'd lose 1 frame, when in fact I'd just pull-down to match the 60Hz. I wouldn't know where the pull-down was though as I'm leaving that to the monitor to duplicate a frame.

NTSC colour, 29.97 fps can be either DF or NDF (non-drop frame). The refresh rate of NTSC colour is 59.94Hz, not 60Hz.

You're talking about television broadcast... which is not the topic of indies... However, I'll note that the United States among other NTSC countries, no longer use NTSC and have switched to ATSC which supports all the currently used frame rates.

24fps can also be HD video, not just theatrical films. 23.976fps is a far more common HD frame rate which is referenced to 59.94Hz (video speed) signal.

Here we're simply talking about standards... Yes, 23.976 is a preferred frame rate, but I'd assume like any filmmaker you don't say that in everyday speech. You round up to 24 like anyone else. Also, the video signal speed is no longer an issue as ATSC can broadcast at actual 24, which allows movies that were shot on film to no longer need to do a pull-down.

And, theatrical films can be 25fps, not only 24fps!

Theatrical films can also be 30fps, 60fps, 59.97, etc... But traditionally they have been 24.

I haven't got time to go into it now but you are getting all sorts of things mixed up here; refresh rates, film speed/video speed, frame rates and time-code! It might be a good time to go and do some research, although be prepared for some brain-ache! :)

I don't think I'm mixed up on much (Except for calling it drop frame haha)... but I am confused why you're bringing so much about NTSC (out-dated) into a conversation about internet deliver?

Sigh... not sure why I'm replying with researched responses...

Neither am I, even more so considering your research has obviously been inadequate!

I have the most high end consumer graphics card currently available.

I don't, I have a relatively cheap laptop with a cheap OEM graphics card, which operates at a refresh rate of 72Hz. My TV has a refresh rate of 100Hz. In my studio I have a commercial video card which can be referenced to any of the main black-burst or tri-sync rates but I've no idea what it's refresh rate is. Again, you are confusing refresh rates with frame rates and timing reference signals.

If I were to use 1080, I then have the options of 60(default), 59, and 50.

So not just 60Hz then!

... in my head I did the math wrong and thought I'd lose 1 frame, when in fact I'd just pull-down to match the 60Hz.

There is no "pull-down" with NTSC footage. "Pull-down" is a term specific to the telecine procedure and even then, NTSC colour is not pulled-down "to match" 60Hz, it's referenced to 59.94Hz!

However, I'll note that the United States among other NTSC countries, no longer use NTSC and have switched to ATSC which supports all the currently used frame rates.

Which is irrelevant as the ATSC standards effectively incorporate the older NTSC colour standard.

Yes, 23.976 is a preferred frame rate, but I'd assume like any filmmaker you don't say that in everyday speech.

Then you'd assume incorrectly, unless you're talking strictly about inexperienced amateur filmmakers! You can call 23.976 anything you want but sooner or later, calling it 24 when it's actually 23.976 is going to cause you problems!

You're talking about television broadcast... which is not the topic of indies...

You're joking right? Far more indie content is broadcast on TV than is ever distributed theatrically and that which is distributed theatrically is commonly also then broadcast on TV and/or distributed as video.

Also, the video signal speed is no longer an issue as ATSC can broadcast at actual 24 ....

The ATSC do not broadcast anything, they are a standards committee not a broadcaster! Which of the ATSC supported rates an actual broadcasters implements is up to the individual broadcaster, none of whom to my knowledge broadcast at 24fps. Stating video speed is no longer an issue is incorrect.

Theatrical films can also be 30fps, 60fps, 59.97, etc... But traditionally they have been 24.

Theatrical films cannot be at 59.97fps (or 59.94). If we're talking "traditionally" then theatrical films were once about 18fps. We're not talking "traditionally" though, we're talking about today.

... but I am confused why you're bringing so much about NTSC (out-dated) into a conversation about internet deliver?

If you're confused about why NTSC is relevant, maybe it wasn't such a good idea for YOU to bring it into the conversation in the first place?! Even more so considering the OP is not based in an NTSC region.

I don't think I'm mixed up on much (Except for calling it drop frame haha)...

Being "mixed up" is extremely common, especially with a subject which under the hood is far more complex than it superficially appears. We all start off being "mixed up" about video ref signals, frame rates, fields, refresh rates and time code but sooner or later, if we wish to become competent, we have to educate ourselves in order to avoid rookie foul ups. That you are "mixed up" but believe that you are not, will most likely result in you not educating yourself until it's too late, until you actually make one of those rookie foul ups and have to deal with the consequences.

G

Back