Softwares

This is a very general question.. Just want to see people's varying views:

What do you think is the best editing software in general? For all aspects of editing.

brain1.jpg

860089_1281739277597.45res_268_115.jpg

69667253_ear.jpg

The point is that your eyes, ears and decision making are going to make whatever NLE work, because they are all just about the same.

Correct.

All NLEs - and any other software for any professional field - will have strengths and weaknesses. And that is quite aside from compatibility issues (Mac vs. PC, interactions with other softwares, etc.).

You need to start with your platform, your budget and consider your current and future needs. Then you can figure out which NLE is best for you right now.

Well, that is true.

I tell people who ask me:

Final Cut for video/Mac people
Avid for video/non-Mac people
Premiere for people who love graphic design/Photoshop
Vegas for audio people
Lightworks for people who love file organization
Resolve for people who like color correcting/cinematography tweaking

I came into film through radio broadcasting, so Sony Vegas speaks to me. It's also one of the ones I used in film school.

Now, I use free software: Blender, Lightworks and want to use Resolve as soon as I can afford a better computer.

I use Premier and am happy with it.
As a student it isn't too expensive with monthly payments.
If you don't want to jump straight into buying, just try different trials and see what you like the feel of most.

What do you think is the best editing software in general? For all aspects of editing.

There isn't one best editing software for all aspects of editing, there is only one best for a particular situation. So, what is your situation? Are you working with a tiny budget, are you running Mac or Windows, are you trying to achieve commercial standards, amateur standards or somewhere in between, is your work for youtube (online dist) or for some other platform, are you working with others in post or trying to do it all yourself and if others, are they amateurs/newbies, professionals or somewhere in between?

I tell people who ask me: ... Vegas for audio people

I would never give "people who ask me" the advice you have given, without first getting answers to the above questions. For example, there are maybe a few situations where Sony Vegas might be a good or possibly even the best choice, there are other situations where it's the absolute worst possible choice (for audio people)!

G

If you are learning how to edit, download Resolve today (it's free) and start cutting.

I switched from FCP7 and I find it to be very usable and stable. Although it's still missing a few convenience features, it's always improving and is a solid performer. The manual is huge, and well-written.

NOTE: In order for Resolve to run on your machine, I believe you need a CUDA-enabled GPU.

If you are learning how to edit, download Resolve today (it's free) and start cutting.

Wait, you edit in Resolve?... Uh.... I'd say Resolve is a far ways off from being an editing competitor...

-----------------------

OP, as I assume you can't afford Avid, get Premiere. It's pretty standard among indies, tons of places to look for help and YouTube videos.

Granted, Resolve isn't as fully-developed as other packages, editing is editing. Likewise, I wouldn't discourage a student from using a free 3D package like Blender. I'm pretty sure I can do better work in Blender than most can do using Maya.

Last edited:
Granted, Resolve isn't as fully-developed as other packages, editing is editing. Likewise, I wouldn't discourage a student from using a free 3D package like Blender. I'm pretty sure I can do better work in Blender than most can do using Maya.

Depends on your scale.

If you mean most by the general population of the world. Yea you can.

If you mean most by the actual userbase of Maya? Most likely not.

Just as the average Premiere user isn't likely to be a better editor than MOST of Avid's users.

Being egotistical doesn't make any points.

Wow, you are missing the point and getting personal. Bye.

What's personal about it?

I just think it's strange to assume you're better than most users of a high end industry standard software. The people that own that software, for the most part, are people who do it professionally.

I don't know many indies that can afford Avid or Maya... but I know plenty of professionals who can.

-----

To take it personally I'd have to be biased, I'm not as I don't use either Avid or Maya. In fact I use the same software as you, Resolve.

Sky, I generally don't consider myself egotistical, and if we were to meet, I'd hope you'd agree.

I do know a fair bit about 3D animation software, and have gotten nice results from them all. What software are you using at Full Sail?

Last edited:
Sky, I generally don't consider myself egotistical, and if we were to meet, I'd hope you'd agree.

I do know a fair bit about 3D animation software, and have gotten nice results from them all. What software are you using at Full Sail?

At Full Sail I'm given Final Cut X and Adobe Creative Suite. I have access to Avid Symphony only for 16mm (mid-program) and 35mm (final) productions. And I own DaVinci Resolve (but enjoyed a student discount).

And I agree with Rok regarding Resolve. While I don't use it, I've been thinking about using it, as it gets better and better and it's free. And the main reason I was thinking about using it as an editor is that if the you know how to edit, I'm not sure that the software is the determining factor on how you edit. Everybody edits differently. But having a color correction software as an editor might make force me into being better at color correction.

It is just my opinion, and I'm sure it's the wrong answer for a lot of people. But lately I've been thinking that it might be the right one for me.

If I remember correctly, Rok worked on Game of Thrones. I think he knows a thing or two or three about Maya.

VFX Supervisor for 4 episodes, according to his IMDb.

Quite an impressive resume too XD I particularly like Evolution, and the creatures animations were yours?

---------------

You MAY be able to do your claim.. but still it did sound extremely egotistical.

Plus would you rather have done those jobs on Blender? Instead of whatever industry/proprietary software was actually used?

Back