Translation Credits

Hi everyone,

My upcoming film, Twilight of the Blue Lotus, features a few lines of dialogue in Latin, as translated by my Classics major friend. I wrote the entire script in English, and my writing will show up in the subtitles during the relevant scenes. Based on these facts, I had two questions.

First, i was wondering how best to credit my friend in the film credits. The original screenplay is by me, of course, but should I note something like, "Translated into Latin by X," or maybe something like "Latin translation by X"?

And secondly, what sort of paperwork, if any, should I have him sign? I'm thinking of sending the script to be published on its own, and I'm also hoping to distribute the film. What sort of legal/copyright issues arise within these contexts, in regards to translation credits?

Thanks!

Yeah, I would just add a "Latin Translation" entry in the credits

You probably don't have to have him sign anything, just tell him he'll be credited and receive a copy and that will undoubtedly be more than enough. :)

A translator performs a service, just like anyone else on the set, so if you use a standard contract to establish they have done a particular job for a price, that they release all rights of their work to you the producer, worldwide, in perpetuity for that fee, then you are probably legally covered. However, like all advice like this, it's better to have your lawyer deal with it.

I don't believe that there are any copyright issues, but I'm not a lawyer and I've never had to deal with exactly this issue, but unless the translator provided original material and in effect co-wrote the script, you shouldn't have a problem, particularly if you legally established copyright of the pre-translated script prior to translation.

If you didn't, a release and a contract is going to be your best cover.

HEY INDIE ANY CHANCE OF A "I'M NOT QUALIFIED TO GIVE LEGAL ADVICE BUT" SMILIE? :lol:

clive said:
HEY INDIE ANY CHANCE OF A "I'M NOT QUALIFIED TO GIVE LEGAL ADVICE BUT" SMILIE? :lol:

:crazy: Here's one, lol...

I was recently reading how an AD on a feature is suing the production company, saying he coached the actors and they ended up using original material that he came up with.

As Clive says, get it in writing! (beforehand)

:)

WV- Makes sense, especially since he's my friend.

Clive and Indie- Yikes, will have to do a little more research on paperwork. It's too late for "beforehand," but since he's my friend, I'm not too concerned. Will definitely have to keep it mind next time I get the crazy idea of having Latin in a script.

Back