• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

is stereo sound OK for indie short film

Status
Not open for further replies.
please oblige and let me be a wild dreamer here. if my film gets into major festivals and is even makes the long list for the oscars, will the fact my DCP is not 5.1 make a difference? is stereo acceptable for short films even for the oscars and sundance, etc? the film is dialogue driven, not a lot of sound effects. assuming the story is powerful and worthy of praise, will a solid stereo mix even be noticed vs 5.1?

itsastruggle, APE is notorious on this forum for being a major lightning-rod, as am I. He's either offering really good advice, or he's saying some really stupid shit that he has absolutely no clue about, and there's no in-between. I may be guilty of the same crimes, from time to time.

That being said, I'm confidant that you're more my people. Stereo is fine for your festival submissions. Should you ever need anything better than stereo, that'll come after your festival circuit.

Best of luck! :D

Stereo is not "perfectly acceptable", it's an actual requirement, because many festivals can't play anything but stereo!

None of this is true in any of the Film Festivals that we've been accepted to.

Yes, you've said you're apparently not interested in festivals like Cannes.

No. I said I am not interested in the Academy or Sundance. In a completely separate thought (and sentence) I said I've never been accepted to a film festival that screens at a bar or a cafe.

Did you not read the thread before posting?

Yeesh. I suppose I felt the OP drifting a bit between their original criteria and a looser one as the thread progressed/regressed. If I recall you even brought this fact up yourself in one of your responses.

Last edited:
... he's saying some really stupid shit that he has absolutely no clue about ...

That being said, I'm confidant that you're more my people.

You know what? I get your message, this board seems to be becoming more and more dominated by the "more my people" type: Hobbyist video makers too stupid and too invested in their own ignorance to comprehend or accept information being given freely and who apparently feel compelled to defend their ignorance by insulting those less ignorant.

The obvious solution, particularly as I'm so busy anyway, is not to waste my time giving freely here that which I make a living charging for IRL!

G

We were promised mods at some point. It'll happen and this sort of thing will get sorted.
I'm not religious but there is a saying my born-again friend used to quote a lot

"Don't throw your pearls among the swine"

Actually it reminds me of this meme - and I mean it in a totally non-snarky way

05fc3b05d535964924d0d513284ad39b.jpg

I think it's fantastic that we have a place like this for people to come and learn and collaborate but it's a public forum. Any jane or dick can sign up and post away so if you get a bad vibe you're under no obligation to waste your time with all of them.

I have to believe that some of us are worth each others time.
Well, okay I don't have to, but I choose to.

You know what? I get your message, this board seems to be becoming more and more dominated by the "more my people" type: Hobbyist video makers too stupid and too invested in their own ignorance to comprehend or accept information being given freely and who apparently feel compelled to defend their ignorance by insulting those less ignorant.

The obvious solution, particularly as I'm so busy anyway, is not to waste my time giving freely here that which I make a living charging for IRL!

G

I'm not sorry that you got butt-hurt by my honesty. There are a lot of things that you don't understand about indie filmmaking, and this particular post you made seems rather judgemental.

You're trying to tell the OP that they need professionally mixed 5.1. I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't have that as an option. That's what you fail to understand. Time and time again, you fail to understand the fact that us indie filmmakers have no choice but to work with what we've got.

You'd know that if you were an indie filmmaker. But you're not. I can only speak for myself, but if you Brexit, you won't be missed.

Audio is providing information based on a professional basis. While it may not be pertinent to many on the small independent level, it could be in the future. We have how it is being done and the work around from others. We have the choice of ignoring it. I do not think you should chase away a valuable resource.

Years ago, I volunteered on a few projects where an Oscar winner from our area was either around or the subject of an interview. A group of us were tempted to strangle him. He was trying to do things outside his level and tell everyone what they should be doing.

Hey!
Stay out of EU business!!!
[INSERT SOME ANGRY YELLING HERE]

:lol:

Lighten up people.

I'm glad somebody got the joke.

Audio is providing information based on a professional basis. While it may not be pertinent to many on the small independent level, it could be in the future. We have how it is being done and the work around from others. We have the choice of ignoring it. I do not think you should chase away a valuable resource.

But in this particular instance, APE is not giving advice to somebody who is in need of advice at the professional level. In this thread, APE is telling an amateur that they're not allowed to be an amateur.

WalterB I love you, but no I won't "lighten up" because APE's attitude in this thread goes so heavily against everything I'm about in filmmaking.

I don't care who you are, YES, you can make movies, and you should! A stereo mix will do fine, I can tell you that from personal experience! I've won numerous awards from a handful of film festivals, all of which screened my feature film with a stereo mix.

There is a regular member of this forum who has never submitted any film to any festival. They've never produced a film at all. They don't know the difficulties that filmmakers face. Maybe that's not the person that we should look to for advice on submitting a film to any festival.

WalterB I love you, but no I won't "lighten up" because APE's attitude in this thread goes so heavily against everything I'm about in filmmaking.

Please stop the passive-aggressive trolling. You can act like the white knight here but all you are doing is trying to elicit a response from APE and this is not going to continue. For the record, APE and itsastruggle have been talked to as well.

Please stop the passive-aggressive trolling. You can act like the white knight here but all you are doing is trying to elicit a response from APE and this is not going to continue. For the record, APE and itsastruggle have been talked to as well.

I'm not trolling. I'm stating my opinions. There's an important distinction there.

And I'm not acting like the White Knight. I am the White Knight. :D

I just saw this and all I can say is YES!

Unfortunately once someone is baited the person who baited them continues. It's like when you're a kid, and your sibling keeps picking on you because you cry and run to mom, and mom tells you, they are only picking on you because you react! But you never get it.

CrackerFunk, you could learn something from that meme. Not only in this thread but you have multiple issues with Sweetie and others, and it's becoming very annoying.

You can use the ignore function, or simply read it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back