Wish me luck... I'm going to make a movie!

Hey guys and girls!

So, I’ve decided it’s time to knuckle down and actually do something. I’ve spent too much time thinking about things, writing stuff down, messing about with special effects, making “test videos”, etc, etc.

Although I know I’m not at a level where I can produce a high-quality, theatrical-release-standard film, I’m fairly confident I can make a half-decent, no-budget, direct-to-DVD horror.

And if you’re not aware, I love half-decent, no-budget, direct-to-DVD horrors! (To be fair to myself, I also love shitty, no-budget, direct-to-DVD horrors, so if I can accomplish that, I’ll be happy… :yes:)

So far, I’m not even sure of what film I intend to make... The problem is that everything I’ve written previously has had no focus on budget. Some of my better stuff, I’d rather not compromise and hold on to them, until the day (fingers crossed) that I have the budget (and technical knowledge) to pull them of successfully.

So, that’s left me with only a couple of options. I’m thinking of either a SLASHER, which iwould very much be a homage to ‘Friday the 13th’ and ‘Halloween’. Or a kind-of mash-up of genres, which would hopefully turn out to be ‘Cabin In The Woods’-esque. Any thoughts? I’m leaning towards the Slasher, as I feel it would be easier to pull off, although there are thousands of Slashers already out there and mine wouldn’t be particularly original. The other idea is more original, while hopefully being a homage to all manner of horror sub-genres, as well as to particular films. Either way, the tone would never be too serious. Not comedy, but hopefully it would be a good time. Any thoughts on either of these? I know I’ve not been too specific with the concepts, but any initial reaction (specifically to the possibility of a ‘Slasher’)?

Either way, although I’ve got the basis for both pretty well nailed down, both would require a full rewrite to get them up to scratch and to a place where they can be shot on a meagre budget.

I intend to shoot on my 60D and record sound with the DR-100mkII / NTG-1 combo.

Anyhow, I’ve put this up here for two reasons. Firstly, to warn everybody that I may be around a bit more, asking stupid questions about stuff that I should probably have known before I ever even thought about starting. And secondly, now that I’ve posted this up here, I’m forced to actually do it! I’d hate to be called a liar!

All thoughts, questions, comments and opinions are welcomed!

Cheers!

Best and worst decision you'll ever make! ;)

I'd go with a conventional slasher and see whether any comedy elements start to come to the foreground. The less self aware and the more organic the comedy, the better the slasher will be- a la Scream.

...see whether any comedy elements start to come to the foreground...

Absolutely! I can't write comedy. But the intention of being quite cliche should lend itself to some humour, regardless of the intention. As a horror fan, I find the majority of the 'Friday the 13th' series quiet amusing. That's what I'd be aiming for, sort-of unintentional splatstick.

Sounds like a plan! :cool:

Thank you, sir! :)

Be sure to review all of harmonica44's posts...

Although my posts have been quite sporadic over the past year or or, I have been lurking! I've seen all of H44's threads, and yes, plenty of good advice in there!

Congrats... Where abouts will you be shooting ?

No need to congratulate me, I haven't done anything yet! The absolute intention is there now though! As for where I'll be shooting, it'll be in the Midlands... Or more specifically, my house, my parents house, my friends house... Anywhere that wont cost me a penny!

Back