Hanging Scene

Hello, I am currently in the process of writing and putting together a short film. However, I have run into a predicament in how I am going to hang my actor in a realistic and safe manner. I need to do a full body shot in which my actor is hanging from a tree branch. I was wondering if anyone on here by chance had a reasonably priced solution to the problem. Once again, the shot has to show the full body and I must use a real human in the scene.
All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Coleman Smith

Typically this is done with a body harness of some sort. Simplest low budget way is to use a rock climbing harness worn backwards. Rope runs from the harness up their back under their shirt. Then you make a separate noose (for safety's sake it shouldn't ever really be connected to the main rope), place it around their neck, and position the camera so that you can't see that the noose and rope don't directly connect. If you go this route you probably want to find a friend who climbs and knows how to safely tie into a harness and belay someone on a rope.

We rented a climbing harness for exactly that kind of scene in my movie.

The actress had a tendency to spin as she hung, so that took some work by the crew to get her balanced so that she didn't move....they also supported her for comfort until we were actually shooting. I think I have some photos, and wil plead them if I can find them.

FOLLOW UP: I give up - is there a way to upload a photo on here?
tks!

Last edited:
I did this for a short, my sister was playing the suicide victim and I literally just let her hang and exercise those neck muscles. I Got the shot, took a few more, and didn't need to waste money on a harness. Obviously I was never forgiven for her unexpected realistic hanging. :D

@ItDonnedOnMe @Lucky Hardwood Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted!

@Mlesemann Haha, that is sweet! Did the actor feel any discomfort? I really would like it to be as safe as possible. Also, what is the best way to make it look as if there are not two ropes there without having to do a straight on shot? If that makes sense...

@Joshua Lloyd ...I really really hope you are kidding...

@Coleman Smith - it didn't hurt her, but her full weight was pulling against her back (gravity), which is why we kept her supported until we were ready to shoot. It was a LONG time, and she was a real trooper.

The director is a good bit bigger than the actress, which is why she insisted on testing it first....she said she wouldn't ask anyone else to do something she wouldn't do.

Our wardrobe person chose the clothing so it came up above the top point where the rope comes out of her clothing. Then our crew guys adjusted the rope on the tree and her position so it photographed well.

There are actually several different angles of her in the movie, including one where her "daughter" finds her. They all look great.

It wears a VERY long day, btw .

We rented a climbing harness for exactly that kind of scene in my movie.

The actress had a tendency to spin as she hung, so that took some work by the crew to get her balanced so that she didn't move....they also supported her for comfort until we were actually shooting. I think I have some photos, and wil plead them if I can find them.

Using a couple thin, clear fishing lines secured to the shoes of the hanging victim and held taunt by PAs will stop any spinning. I've had PAs tug on lines to get the "swaying in the breeze" action going too.

Back