indoor microphone

I found out i pro. want a hyper cardoiod pattern, and on other blogs the two main ones around 500 (give or take some $) and are the rode nt3 and oktavia mk-012. However, does the oktavia need phantom power? I dont know what to use for phantom power, buit, according to you all, it's something to avoid. Alos, I cannot find a site to possibly purchase it in the u.s., or if it comes with all those capsules or if those are bought seperatly. Is the rode better, or easier? Any other good indoor mics, or im buyin because ive spent enough hours on this. I f I also get a xlr to mini plug cable, homemade boom pole, headphones I already have, is that all I really need? Ill prob. be working with consumer camcorder with mic input. Please just tell me what I should buy!

You are getting conflicting advice because you are unclear with
your question. The NT3 has a wide pic up pattern. It’s fine for
“indoor” use. So that answer is correct. But the NT3 must be
quite close to the actor. That makes it excellent for Voice Over
use, for example. Watch the video wynnep suggested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETX_nBG9zvU

When the NT3 is very close to the speaker it sounds great. So if
by “indoor” mic you mean a mic the speaker will hold in their
hand a few inches from their mouth (like the woman sitting in the
chair) or put on a stand a few inches from their mouth (like the
woman in the studio) then that’s the mic for you. Watch the
video. Is this the way you will use the mic?

As soon as you move it out of frame it will sound like the
sequence in that video with the woman sitting and reading without
a mic close to her. A good shotgun mic will sound good from that
distance.

If you can afford two mics - a shotgun with a lobar pick up and a
vocal mic with a hypercardiod pick up then buy both of them. If
you cannot afford both, buy a shotgun mic.

Check out THIS EXAMPLE What you will hear is a Sennheiser
shotgun mic used indoors. The first part has a lot of camera
movement - which means the boom op had to move the mic
around a lot. Something that couldn't be done with the NT3.
In the second part you see standard close ups. The mic was
above the actors, just out of frame. If you feel the audio isn't
good then the NT3 is your best choice. If it sounds okay to
you then you can try a shotgun mic.

Ok. Srry I wasn't clear.it would b out of the shot, unnoticable. Like a fiction movie. Where's it's out of the shot but recording audio like on a boompole. Hope that is clear enough.ask more if needed. So it looks like a shotgun would b the best option for my situation?

I've been saying since my first post that a shotgun mic with a lobar
pick up pattern is the type of mic you need for making movies. Both
indoor and outdoor. So my advice is still the same.

I think what's confusing you is the answers you get regarding an
"indoor" mic. To many people an "indoor" mic means a studio mic
like the link wynnp posted. Did you take a look at the clip I linked to?
Did the mic used indoors sound okay to you? That was recorded
with a shotgun mic.

You didn't buy one after all this? ;)
If you are buying one mic for all your shots, buy a shotgun. If you want to experiment with other mics for different situations, go for it. But don't buy one mic to experiment with that won't serve the rest of your film.

I know, I'm pathetic. I need to just go with it now, and now I understand it more. It's much more clear now, its just it conflicted a lot and I wanted to make absolute sure I was making the best possible decision, and that I'm hopefully more specific on my needs. Shotgun it is, now the ?, which one. I am very close on this, but let me just get complete personel opinions (because I'm obviously not always the best at making decisions clearly.) at835b or at897? that answer compared to ntg2? I think the ntg3 is pushing my budget a little, and it doesnt have the option of battery power, just phantom, which is an issue. It seems like itlll be one of those, and I''m going to plan on ordering this weekend. I just need to do it. No more time unsure and pushing it off. It leaves less time for the most imprtantr element, MAKING THE MOVIES. I just need to leave it all behind and go with it./ It may not turn out perfect, but It'll all be fine I'm sure. Sorry, had to get it all out there. phew. thanks, peace, and if ur too frusterated with me, just diss me and I'll pick based on pure instinct. PEACE.
p.s. By the way, I am working on a very short film with no dialogue. Hope to get critique on it from u when I am finished and release it. ;)

I'm not going to get into specific models - everyone has their preferences.

Shotgun mics are usually not the best choice for indoors. When shotguns are used by indie filmmakers indoors, they tend to get that hollow "roomy" sound. Because of their narrow directionality shotguns only pick up what is directly in front of them. This means that besides picking up the dialog directly from the talent, it also will pick up the sound "bouncing" around the room; the actors voice reflects off of the wood floor, hits the ceiling, then the wall behind the crew, then into the mic. But it also bounces off of the side wall, into the ceiling, off the floor and into the mic, and hundreds of other variations. These reflected sounds arrive at the microphone "late" by micro and milliseconds, creating and echo or reverb. That's why it is better to use a non-shotgun cardioid mic indoors, it mitigates this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mPQL9PUI-w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4mPQL9PUI-w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back