Duvateen vs. Black Felt

What is the difference between the expensive Duvateen and the standard, thick black felt you can buy at a fabric store? I suspect "flame retardant" might have something to do with it. Did I make a mistake by getting a bolt of felt instead of Duvateen?

I did some lighting tests with the felt, and the limited range of the digital camera had the areas covered in the felt nice and black (even though my eyes could see highlights in the fabric). I used it on the floor behind a subject to cut off the light reflecting from a light-colored carpet. It made a nice sea of black. I also draped it around a paper lantern to cut some ambient light. At some point, I'll experiment with using it as a hanging backdrop.

Another thing I noticed about the felt, it's somewhat porous, so in front of a window or a light it would allow some light to pass through. With that in mind, I picked up material normally used in window shades to sandwich between the felt to make some flags/gobos. Does Duvateen effectively block light from passing though as much as it absorbs it?

Thanks, as always, for any feedback and guidance.

You have already discovered the primary reason for using duv - it’s
much better at eliminating light from windows or for use in flags.
And the flame retardant is very, very important especially if you
are using it near an electric light source. Felt can heat up and
rather suddenly catch fire. Though I can see felt being used to cut
the reflected light from the floor or carpet.

You might want to consider black wrap for cutting ambient light. It
can be placed directly on the source. Even with paper lanterns I find
black wrap can be quickly shaped to get the exact look I want.

Okay, thanks on the black wrap suggestion. I have that, too.

Anyone need some felt for costumes? :lol: I'm sure I'll find some uses for it (like the floor), but it looks like I am going to need to bite the bullet and find some Duv. The last thing I need is a fire hazard.

Okay, thanks on the black wrap suggestion. I have that, too.

Anyone need some felt for costumes? :lol: I'm sure I'll find some uses for it (like the floor), but it looks like I am going to need to bite the bullet and find some Duv. The last thing I need is a fire hazard.
See if it's cost efficient to make your own: http://www.dharmatrading.com/frt.html

See if it's cost efficient to make your own: http://www.dharmatrading.com/frt.html

Oooh, perfect. That's a lot cheaper than having to replace an entire bolt of black fabric.

By the time I take two sheets of felt, sandwich some black-out cloth between them, and spray it down with this stuff, I should be set. The same time I bought the fabric, I picked up some metal strips to make rigid frames. The black-out cloth is actually white, so I was kicking around the idea of having one side with a flap held together with Velcro so I could open it up and use the white to bounce if needed.

Thanks!

You wouldn't happen to be following my tutorial would you? :)

Actually, no. I should've known I didn't I have an original idea. It's good to know that great minds think alike. :lol:

Your tutorial does give me some additional inspiration to change a few things.

Good stuff!

For the frames, I was planning to use flat metal strips and dowels that I was going to have welded (I have access to a shop). I'll take a look at the piping. Copper water pipe could be a good alternative because I can pick up solder, flux and a torch and use that instead of welding. I was concerned about rigidity and crushing or bending pipe with the A-Clamps.

Last edited:
Back