Director new to LA seeking Producer and production team.

Hey all, my name is Ryan Shovey. I'm a Director, and have won a few awards for some of my short films and a music video. I recently moved out to Los Angeles to pursue my directing career and take everything I do up a notch. Of course, especially being new to town, funding is hard to come by. So, my idea is to shoot some of my other short film scripts, work with some local talent, and build up my reel more while working towards that working director gig.

I am looking for a producer who would want to get together and work alongside me in creating/finding funding for these films. I don't have the funds to give these films everything they deserve, and I also would really like to build a crew to work with on future projects as they come.

You can view my demo reel here - http://vimeo.com/58436116
And my last short film here - http://vimeo.com/69002154

The majority of my short films are in the horror/thriller genre; think an R-rated Are you Afraid of The Dark episode and you're in the ball park. They are short, some 10 pages and under, and some a little longer. I do have contacts at Shockfest and a few other festivals, so I'm quite confident that we can get an audience. I also am partnered with Fullscreen on both YouTube and Roku. But, that is what I have done already. It would be amazing to press forward and just keep making fun content until we all hit it big.

If any producers, financiers, or the like are interested in what I'd like to accomplish, then do send me a message and let's get together. Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

I have actually dealt with Louise Levinson before in creating a business plan for a feature I was going to direct a few years ago. In efforts of being educated before contacting her, what would I be asking her to do? Develop a biz plan for the shorts? Or develop a plan to get people to invest in me as an up in coming director? I definitely do not want to waste any professionals time, so I want as much info/advice as possible.

Does anyone knows of any meet ups or networking events that I could attend in efforts of meeting the producers and investors that would be looking for someone like me?

what would I be asking her to do?

No one should be telling you what your goals are.

Your job is to determine what your goals are. What you need to attain those goals and then go out and get what you need and achieve those goals.

Edit: What you described in your initial post isn't your goal. It's a single step towards what I can only guess is your goal.

I definitely do not want to waste any professionals time, so I want as much info/advice as possible.

That's a good attitude to have. Kind of....

Does anyone knows of any meet ups or networking events that I could attend in efforts of meeting the producers and investors that would be looking for someone like me?

You really need to look good and hard at yourself and at the same time have an acute awareness of others around you. There are plenty of directors who are more talented than you who cannot find finance. The good news is there are plenty of less talented directors who find finance. What's the difference between the two?

You need to have a proposition that makes sense to an investor. I understand the situation you're in. You're keen to work and you want to succeed. The problem is, everyone else is too, so that makes you just another guy. The way you wrote your original post came across as, "I need someone to spend money on me so I can become a successful director." The way I look at it, it's akin to asking a stranger to pay for your college tuition (did I get the term right for your country?) so you can get a better paying job.

I'm sure I'd be able to find a dozen candidates on this site who'd fall into a similar situation as you.

Granted, you have some skills. How would you make your short film proposal into something that makes sense to an investor. If you cannot, you'll either need to self finance, find a sucker or find a better proposition.

I wish you the best of luck.

Back