YouTube VS Vimeo

I feel like Vimeo has only promising short films, while YouTube is filed with your little cousin's friend's blowing up an ant hill with a fire cracker type videos.

Anyone else see this? Or does Vimeo have it's fair share of weirdness I just never see.

Nope. youtube has a lot more quality content and shows. I exclusively use youtube as my source of entertainment, and occasionally netflix.

There are plenty of well made shows, webseries, short films, etc.

Vimeo has a crappier setup, crappier video player, and most of the content people post there is pretentious 'artsy' stuff

most of the content people post there is pretentious 'artsy' stuff
Precisely why I like vimeo :P I also find their video player a lot easier to use and more elegant. Youtube feels bloated to me.

That said, I still use youtube for most things. It really depends on your target audience. But youtube has a far bigger reach. My own pretentious artsy stuff has nearly 10 times as many views on youtube as it does vimeo.

There is also a lot of crap on vimeo - it's just a lot less pronounced and in your face than youtube, as they don't have 'recommended videos' and videos that automatically play 3 seconds after the current clip.

Vimeo is meant to be the place for creatives, YouTube the place to share videos.
I think they both deliver to their proposition :)
There is beauty and crap on both, but on Vimeo the beauty gets curated a bit :)

I notice that some corporate video production companies also use Vimeo for ugly stuff: it's like they don't see Vimeo is not the place for that ;)

Does it really matter?

Either way you're the one that has to drive viewers to your videos.
I think with youtube more people will have accounts already logged in to like or share your video.

I've seen some awesome indie flicks on Vimeo and I've also seen some amazing short films on Youtube that had production values that would surpass or equal any Hollywood motion picture production.

It think it's based on your preference. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I've posted a few projects on Vimeo, but I never got anywhere near the 250,000 views I got for a short film I uploaded on Youtube or the millions of views I get on my Youtube film channel.

A lot of the top film and animation schools are putting their short films on Youtube, not to mention Pixar and a bunch of other independent and major production studios around the world are now putting their films on Youtube. Youtube is the 100 pound gorilla when it comes to the volume of professionally produce films.

I'm not taking anything away from Vimeo, because I like it and I think it's a great outlet.

Last edited:
I get to watch a lot of footage doing what I do both on vimeo and youtube.

Youtube has I think some great web series. There are also some very good movies
on there from the indie producers.

Most of what I get sent to view though is on vimeo. I think indie film makers do
this because the only way to capitalize from youtube is by adding advertising where as
vimeo allows pay to view, rent, download options so it seems easier to capitalize on the
likes of vimeo.

Add to that the opinion of many that vimeo is more professional then youtube for watching
higher grade footage and you can see why many people put their side projects on YT and use
vimeo for their more polished work.

Back